ArcherphileOctober 1, 2026 at 12:13 PM Not sure if mentioned before, but now our neighbours of 40 years have moved, the house is occupied by their 45 yr old son and his wife who is from the Phillipines, Janice. They met when he was working as an English teacher in Borneo. She is now pregnant and due in November. her parents, are coming for the birth, then her entire family are coming over for Christmas and to meet their youngest member. I am told not all of them speak English but I shall enjoy hearing about their culture and perhaps swapping recipies!
REPLY
BasiaOctober 1, 2026 at 2:13 PM Yes, you did mention Archerphile and now with further developments. Never mind about the language barrier, as you say, food always brings people together. Now two of you on the blog have Phillipino connections. Manila envelopes originate from there too.
JaniceOctober 1, 2026 at 3:52 PM That's sounds lovely Archerfile, and it will be interesting for them to experience a British Christmas. Mabel comes from Masbate island and she is used to having the main meal , a "feast" , on Christmas Eve, and she cooks a selection of Philippino dishes for us then
BasiaOctober 1, 2026 at 5:19 PM OK, one l and two pp - you are the expert Janice, but the autocorrect seems to accept both.
JaniceOctober 1, 2026 at 10:24 PM Mabel would say the correct spelling is Filipino, and that she is a Filipina and her brothers are Filipinos. 🙂
BasiaOctober 2, 2026 at 11:57 AM That's right up my street Janice and I'll use it from now on, here at least. I'm all for 'fonetic' spelling and pronunciation and the 'a' ending for feminine gender. I assume her sisters are Filipinas, but when mixed the masculine applies. Enough of linguistics.
JaniceOctober 1, 2026 at 3:59 PM I take it the reason the last couple of days there have been heavy bombers going overhead here is because of the various unsettling things happening at present. Apparently they do training loops or aerial refulling over the Cornish coast.
REPLY
AmbridgesMrsPOctober 1, 2026 at 11:29 PM Don’t forget RNAS Culdrose down at Helston Janice.. My daughter is only eight miles down the road from there and they get a great deal of air traffic over their land. She was describing to me a few months ago how they often bring aircraft over and fly low down into their heavily wooded valley, she assumes to hide, then suddenly pop up.
ArcherphileOctober 1, 2026 at 9:06 PM Well, that was an interesting start to Traitors. I think there are too many contestants this time which makes it quite confusing. A lot of young women I don't know and only 3 I am familiar with. I am hoping Amol Rajan and Michael Sheen do well but and thoroughly fed up with Richard E Grant already!
REPLY
Proud to be Yorkshire.October 2, 2026 at 7:34 AM We loved it. Don’t know a lot of the young folk. I don’t like amol Rajan, Hope coffin lid shuts on him. Oh Richard! He was so excited he couldn’t help but blurt it out! What a plonker. He is bringing the entertainment value to it. Don’t think he’ll last long though. Ross Kemp….hilarious. Supposed tough guy that is jumping at everything and everyone. Can’t wait for tonight. Haven’t got a favourite yet.
A very frustrating morning. I got to supermarket check out & joint credit card not in wallet. So pay on mine, not an issue, but I went back to car distracted by card, loaded bags & then checked pockets of spare jacket that I keep in the car & had thrown on yesterday due to sudden rain, no luck so got in car still distracted & drove off without returning my trolley (I didn’t hit it either so it may have rolled away of it’s own volition or someone took it) which means I have lost my token which is more irritating than losing a pound coin. I get home, phone credit card company & could only cancel my card but not order the replacement as MrNuts is the named account holder & he was out on walk….then putting away shopping realise bacon has hit expiry date & went to check carton of soup which I then dropped & it spilt over the floor. I think I most have affronted the universe somehow, at least I’ve got bacon sarnies to look forward to.
ArcherphileOctober 1, 2026 at 12:13 PM
ReplyDeleteNot sure if mentioned before, but now our neighbours of 40 years have moved, the house is occupied by their 45 yr old son and his wife who is from the Phillipines, Janice. They met when he was working as an English teacher in Borneo. She is now pregnant and due in November. her parents, are coming for the birth, then her entire family are coming over for Christmas and to meet their youngest member. I am told not all of them speak English but I shall enjoy hearing about their culture and perhaps swapping recipies!
REPLY
BasiaOctober 1, 2026 at 2:13 PM
Yes, you did mention Archerphile and now with further developments.
Never mind about the language barrier, as you say, food always brings people together.
Now two of you on the blog have Phillipino connections.
Manila envelopes originate from there too.
JaniceOctober 1, 2026 at 3:52 PM
That's sounds lovely Archerfile, and it will be interesting for them to experience a British Christmas. Mabel comes from Masbate island and she is used to having the main meal , a "feast" , on Christmas Eve, and she cooks a selection of Philippino dishes for us then
BasiaOctober 1, 2026 at 5:19 PM
ReplyDeleteOK, one l and two pp - you are the expert Janice, but the autocorrect seems to accept both.
JaniceOctober 1, 2026 at 10:24 PM
Mabel would say the correct spelling is Filipino, and that she is a Filipina and her brothers are Filipinos. 🙂
BasiaOctober 2, 2026 at 11:57 AM
That's right up my street Janice and I'll use it from now on, here at least.
I'm all for 'fonetic' spelling and pronunciation and the 'a' ending for feminine gender.
I assume her sisters are Filipinas, but when mixed the masculine applies.
Enough of linguistics.
linguistics.
ReplyDeleteJaniceOctober 1, 2026 at 3:59 PM
I take it the reason the last couple of days there have been heavy bombers going overhead here is because of the various unsettling things happening at present. Apparently they do training loops or aerial refulling over the Cornish coast.
REPLY
AmbridgesMrsPOctober 1, 2026 at 11:29 PM
Don’t forget RNAS Culdrose down at Helston Janice..
My daughter is only eight miles down the road from there and they get a great deal of air traffic over their land.
She was describing to me a few months ago how they often bring aircraft over and fly low down into their heavily wooded valley, she assumes to hide, then suddenly pop up.
ArcherphileOctober 1, 2026 at 9:06 PM
Well, that was an interesting start to Traitors. I think there are too many contestants this time which makes it quite confusing. A lot of young women I don't know and only 3 I am familiar with. I am hoping Amol Rajan and Michael Sheen do well but and thoroughly fed up with Richard E Grant already!
REPLY
Proud to be Yorkshire.October 2, 2026 at 7:34 AM
We loved it.
Don’t know a lot of the young folk. I don’t like amol Rajan, Hope coffin lid shuts on him.
Oh Richard! He was so excited he couldn’t help but blurt it out! What a plonker.
He is bringing the entertainment value to it. Don’t think he’ll last long though.
Ross Kemp….hilarious. Supposed tough guy that is jumping at everything and everyone.
Can’t wait for tonight. Haven’t got a favourite yet.
A very frustrating morning. I got to supermarket check out & joint credit card not in wallet. So pay on mine, not an issue, but I went back to car distracted by card, loaded bags & then checked pockets of spare jacket that I keep in the car & had thrown on yesterday due to sudden rain, no luck so got in car still distracted & drove off without returning my trolley (I didn’t hit it either so it may have rolled away of it’s own volition or someone took it) which means I have lost my token which is more irritating than losing a pound coin. I get home, phone credit card company & could only cancel my card but not order the replacement as MrNuts is the named account holder & he was out on walk….then putting away shopping realise bacon has hit expiry date & went to check carton of soup which I then dropped & it spilt over the floor. I think I most have affronted the universe somehow, at least I’ve got bacon sarnies to look forward to.
ReplyDelete