Life outside Ambridge


                                                        Eclipse over now meteor spotting!

                                       

Comments

  1. JaniceAugust 12, 2026 at 9:19 AM
    I had a really nice day visiting Clovelly yesterday. Hadn't been there for years. Did the traditional bit of walking down the very steep cobbled lane to the harbour, and was amused by some of the cottage names. One was Rats House, and with a nice tortoiseshell cat curled up on the steps in front as if on guard.
    Talking about water though we visited the Clovelly Court Victorian walled garden above the village, and I had a chat with a couple of the gardeners. They are only allowed to water the plants in the glasshouses ( because they are counted as a commercial business and supply veg and fruit four cafes and a shop) and their lovely outdoor plants and shrubs are having to survive as best they can, and they have some quite unusual varieties. I came away with some heritage tomato varieties, and learnt how with successional planting they can grow food all year round, and it made me realize how wellstocked glasshouses and sufficient gardeners could keep a large Victorian estate household in food. They were experimenting with packing sheep's wool around the base of the outdoor courgettes/squashes in the hope of retaining the moisture beneath, and also they think slugs are deterred by having to cross wool.

    REPLY

    JaniceAugust 12, 2026 at 9:25 AM
    We were thinking of going to the nearby agricultural show today but may not now because both the cattle and sheep classes have been cancelled because of Bluetongue, and now the dog show has also been cancelled because the advisory vets think it is too hot for them. A shame as so much work goes into the planning and preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REPLY

    JaniceAugust 12, 2026 at 9:25 AM
    We were thinking of going to the nearby agricultural show today but may not now because both the cattle and sheep classes have been cancelled because of Bluetongue, and now the dog show has also been cancelled because the advisory vets think it is too hot for them. A shame as so much work goes into the planning and preparation.


    MiriamAugust 12, 2026 at 2:52 PM
    I was chatting with niece No#3 last night who was thoroughly fed up. She ordered a pack of 4 eclipse glasses on Friday and paid an extortionate postage for next day delivery. She was buying for herself, hubbie + 6yrold daughter. Needless to say they hadn't arrived!
    A message came through mid morning, they'd arrived.
    I'm so pleased for her as she was so upset last night. So next day delivery became 5 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JaniceAugust 12, 2026 at 3:26 PM
    I am very cluttered mainly because I think something might come in useful in the future, and I remembered where I had put our eclipse glasses from 2000 ( exactly on my 50th birthday so a special birthday). There they were on top the kitchen dresser, and with 26 years dust on top

    REPLY

    JaniceAugust 12, 2026 at 3:27 PM
    Of the plastic bag they were in!


    JaniceAugust 12, 2026 at 4:36 PM
    Oops my cousin says it was 1999 on my 49th birthday!


    Cheshire CheeseAugust 12, 2026 at 7:05 PM
    Did anyone see the eclipse? We hadn't got any special glasses so Mr CC sent his drone up and we did the next best thing and whatched it on the drone camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a look last night for meteors but it was a bit hazy, we will look again tonight.
    I remember the 1999 eclipse, my younger daughter was a couple of weeks old so day/night was all a bit blurred! I do remember it was very cloudy, so not that dramatic.
    We all three watched tonight’s eclipse with appropriate eye protection which was a nice family thing, I’ll have to catch up with the Archers as I only listened to snippets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady RAugust 12, 2026 at 7:37 PM
    I was just so thrilled to be indoors and see the sun disappear- bliss 🫢 but it will be back tomorrow and with a vengeance, mind it was 34c today 😡 I don’t think I will get my Autumn the leaves in George’s village are scattered even now…..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The meteors are meant to be the best in the two hours before dawn, tomorrow morning If I'm awake at that time, then I'll go out + have a look.
    I had a great view of the eclipse. The predicted coverage was meant to be 93% but it was definitely more than that as just a tiny sliver of sun remained. It was like 95%. I was lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a good view of the eclipse up in the field, but although it went quiet and a bit darker it didn't go properly dark like it did in 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I didn’t see it, I sat in my garden armchair watching the blue sky peppered with fluffy cotton wool clouds instead.
    I had to drive to Taunton yesterday for a hospital appointment and have been exhausted today, so had no energy to go up onto North Hill where it was expected crowds would be to see the eclipse.
    It didn’t get very dark or particularly cold.
    I remember the first eclipse I saw in the playground as a child with many buckets and bowls of water to watch the reflection in. I watched the last one in ‘99 on the grass area of the estate I lived in at the time.
    I won’t be around for the next one.
    But I am so very pleased that so many apparently young people were interested enough to watch this evening.
    My father, an avid amateur astronomer would be very pleased.
    Which reminds me, I must get my dad’s telescope back from my son-in-law law.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been out in the garden with a very clear sky and an incredible amount of stars watching the meteors, some with very long tails. Going to bed now but if as usual I wake to go to the loo later then I might look outside again if it is going to be more impressive nearer dawn.
    I was surprised how many night flying planes were going overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had fully intended to take my pinhole paper to a nearby high field, but fell asleep in my comfy garden chair instead, woke up at 7.20...that was silly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was sitting out in the garden at 3.00am. The sky was clear with loads of bright sparkly stars (plus planes) but no meteors at all!
    I gave up after 30mins.
    To add Pusscat decided to come + curl up on my lap.

    I've finally got my eye clinic appointment. Not bad only an 11months wait instead of the 6month one expected. It's the nurse led clinic not the Dr one it should be but that's fine because if there are any problems, I'll get an instant referral + appt. at Dr. one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a festival going on locally which has a bit of a reputation for drugs. I can’’t help wondering how many there may not have followed the advice given. I have limited sympathy as the festival is a nuisance causing traffic jams & leaving a shedload of litter, the organisers do pay people to collect it but I don’t imagine as much recycling is done as could be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As others must be, I'm absolutely horrified of the ariel photos I've seen today of Stourbridge. Such total devastation of all those homes reduced to just shells with just walls left standing.
    Some of the area is now taped off and is being treated as a crime scene.
    Disposal BBQs are now banned, but why wasn't this done weeks ago + what about the sale of fireworks?

    No meteors seen against last night. I'm thinking there're detour/diversion signs somewhere 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extra. Unbelievably 19 homes were fully destroyed and another 15 damaged. 😪

      Delete
    2. I’m of the opinion that portable BBQs should not even be manufactured.
      When living in my flat in London, at one time a South African house share above me had a BBQ on their balcony, ABOVE my conservatory.
      I was appalled and very frightened.
      Apart from the fire risk the stink close to others living quarters is disgusting.

      Delete
    3. I received the government heat alert on my phone warning about the risks of causing fores a few minutes ago.
      It reminded me of our last trip to Alderley Edge. We were returning to the car park through a field when I caught a glint out of the corner of my eye. It was a glass bottle, in full sunshine, on tinder dry grass. We took it home and put it in the recycling. People can be so thoughtless.

      Delete
    4. I am glad there are people like you in the world CC. I have been fed up these last couple of days. A few years back my daughter rented out a glamping tent through the summer, but stopped doing it because the access to the field was via a busy lane. She had a dustbin there for rubbish, but someone must have chucked a bottle into the hedgerow where it would have stayed unseen until things dried up now and the sun must have caught it and half the field plus a wooden shed where she had a compost loo and stored things went up in smoke. Our local fire service were brilliant but - I'm sorry Mrs P because I know how you preserve water - it took a whole tanker of water to put it out, plus a smaller one damping down a strip of the neighbouring field to stop it spreading over the hedge. That is the last time anyone will ever camp in a field of mine. My son said I was not to get exasperated with my daughter because she would not have seen the bottle where it had been thrown.

      Delete
    5. At least it didn't get down as far as 3 heritage apple trees I had planted by the other hedge, but a lovely sweet chestnut tree my brother had planted has had all its leaves burnt off and I don't know if it will survive. At least thankfully there weren't any sheep in the field. Myself and daughter and car are smelling and looking like sooty sweeps at present taking bits of burnt shed and melted metal and plastic up to the tip. We are desperate for some rain because the grass in all the fields is tinder dry, and some have public footpaths through them and people do drop rubbish.

      Delete
    6. A fire here in France was traced back to a cigarette butt dropped by a youngster.
      Two firemen died in the process of putting it out.

      Delete
  14. Channel 5 tonight The big drought of 1975 I missed about the first 15 mins but even so I have yet to see one overweight person it looks so strange I keep thinking there’s bound to be one at least in a minute but not yet - just totally unbelievable and so so strange..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've noticed that when watching concerts of bands in those days. Our environment has changed a lot since then especially with more of the ultra processed food we have around now that's low in fibre, calorie dense and designed to make you eat more of it.

      Delete
    2. Our generation, if I can say that, were brought up cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients and continue to do so. We had our home made cakes + biscuits, lovely calorific puddings but all were home made, but there was no fast food with hidden extras.
      I saw a 3-4yr old girl when I was in my local co-op the other day, whose Mum was letting her choose her own lunch.This was a hot sausage roll, a doughnut and a can of pink fizzy pop! Very tasty but...
      She was obviously very familiar with these items.

      Delete
  15. I know very little about Jason Arday and was shocked by his untimely death.
    Unusually I was going to post something light and humorous but it seems trivial now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so sad for him too Basia. I think newspapers blow things right out of proportion just to get more sales.

      Delete
    2. From what I’ve read, it’s not been entirely the press, but some aspects of academia and the press combined, with suspected racial overtones.

      Delete
    3. It doesn't matter how, but the damage is done with tragic consequences.
      Like on the other blog - the ins and outs are irrelevant.

      Delete
    4. I think the ins and outs are very relevant because the instigators should be held to account and consider the effect of their actions, to try and stop this scapegoating happening to others.

      Delete
    5. I agree with you Mistral to a certain extent, but I'm not very hopeful.
      I listened to an interview with Jason Arday's friend on BH (second half), he had a lot of support yet felt hounded to death.
      In our culture of free speech those who spoke out against him were expressing their opinions. The protagonists are better protected than the victims, be it in a court of law or a 'court of human nature'.

      Delete
    6. I agree with Mistrals reply to BASIA, but at the same time I also agree with BASIA that, regardless of the human suffering, the ethics, and the hounding of certain individuals, in our society that demands, and gets, free speech, very little in the way of accountability can be laid upon them.
      In addition the protagonists are convinced - and will not be swayed from being so - that there rule is the only rule that matters, and they care not a jot for the effect upon others that their way of thinking may wreak havoc on another’s life.
      There are bold individuals, principally journalists, who will speak out about such actions and condemn them, but they are few and far between in this society where the culture of free speech grows ever more prevalent , and any suggestion of containing or preventing it is pronounced as fascist.

      Delete
  16. That is really interesting, thanks Basia and Mrs. P.
    I heard BH too, very sad to hear about JA situation. I think there is a massive difference between free speech and hate speech. I hope those bullies that hounded him have regrets - but doubt they will.
    It reminds me of poor David Kelly a few years ago, and how far some people will push a false agenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mistral, David Kelly was exactly the person I thought of in connection with this sad event.
      His cover was blown and he was hounded relentlessly and the sad thing being that he was actually in favour of the war. An Inconvenient Death is the book that I read.

      Delete
    2. Not so much in favour but not opposed to the war I remember.

      Delete
  17. I think he was concerned with facts, and not advocating war on false information.
    I clearly remember that he went missing and the escalating worry from his wife about his state of mind.
    I think this hounding of people is getting really serious, the whole tone of public discourse seems to be based on 'outrage'.
    I am very glad that I am not having to navigate any media outlets on behalf of children, it must be difficult for parents now trying to set boundaries. Personally I am tired of living in a 'perma-crisis'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excited for my granddaughter today, her first day as an intern in a different building in Covent Garden.
    And we’ve had some rain overnight, not much more than a drivel though.
    And did I hear yesterday that we are to get a fifth heatwave ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it will be number 6 Mrs P if we get it 😱 The first two weeks of September!
      Congratulations to your granddaughter ⭐️

      Delete
  19. Lovely and cool here today after a little bit of rain last night.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We woke up to pouring rain this morning. There must have been a fair bit overnight as the pond had filled up a bit. Yesterday I was thinking that I would have to resort to topping it up with tap water which I really didn't want to have to do, now I won't need to.
    The garden has already perked up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've obviously have had a lot more rain in East Cheshire, than I've had in West Cheshire. There's been some overnight rain, but I'm still having to go out with the watering can, as it hasn't made that much difference yet!


      Delete
  21. This is in connection with the sheep attack but in real life.
    A stag was put down after attacking a man in Richmond Park.
    A man died after being bitten by a German Shepherd which remains in police kennels while his owner awaits trial. I'm perplexed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I’ve been particularly interested in this latest stag incident in Richmond park, which was just a few hundred yards from my home in London.
    One weekend my partner came home from walking our dog telling me that a stag had approached our dog in a menacing manor. Fortunately the dog had responded to her call and she and the dog made a quick escape back to the exit.
    The following day we both went with our dog and again a stag approached and my partner swore it was the same stag with the same menacing attitude.

    These are dangerous animals and over the years I noticed many more people, quite often of apparently Middle Eastern origin approaching these magnificent but dangerous animals with little respect or regard for the danger and clearly hoping to touch or be very close to them.
    It would appear that this has now escalated to feeding them and this has led to the recent situation of a person being attacked whilst having a picnic.
    The theory being that by being fed they are now becoming attracted to people with food.
    I’m not surprised !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a incident not long ago, about a stag attacking someone in Tatton Park. Cheshire Cheese will probably know about this.
      It was rutting season so the park was totally closed for a tike.

      Delete
  23. Can’t resist adding : - just seen on our local SM - two sheep on one of our beaches, a short video showing them trotting along, obviously having escaped their field.
    Not random in Somerset !

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm very excited, a hedgehog has taken up residence in our garden. It has made a nest under one of the shrubs in the back garden and we've seen it a few times snuffling around in the evening. It was a common occurrence when we first moved in decades ago but very rare now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how wonderful CC - I do hope he stays.
      Do you have hedgehog openings in your boundaries if they are fences ?
      I am most envious.
      I would love to have a hedgehog, but apart from having a neighbouring garden that has nothing of sustainability in it but also uses weed killer ( ! )
      I’m afraid Lady is fascinated by hedgehogs - I think I’ve written about her behaviour in this regard previously.

      I wish you the very best with your new garden resident.

      Delete
    2. CC How wonderful.
      I had wld life again last night, another live mouse! Thankfully I was able to rescue + release it.

      Delete
    3. No hedgehog openings MrsP. Our house is on a corner and situated diagonally across the plot so we only have 2 boundaries and both have walls. The other two boundaries are roads. One of the houses has covered most of the back garden with a car workshop, plastic grass and paving. Not much for hedgehogs there or any other wildlife.
      I think that it might be our pond that has attracted it as it does other creatures. I'm putting hedgehog food out in the evening now which does go but I don't know what is actually eating it. I am concerned as it has to cross roads to go foraging.

      Delete
    4. CC it must have chosen your garden as a safe haven. Long may it continue.

      Delete
    5. As that is your situation CC then you are even luckier than suggested.
      When I finally get my pond, perhaps a hedgehog will appear.

      Delete
  25. I'm in the alert area for storms + rain. I'll believe it when I hear + see it, as forecast is just showing occasionsl drizzly showers overnight.
    It's wait + see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the weather map is anything to go by you could get some heavy rain overnight Miriam

      Delete
  26. Is anyone excited or pleased that Harry + Meghan are coming back to live in the OK and will send their offspring to an English school?
    My first thought that it doesn't say much for the US Education system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you auto correct - that should have been UK of course!

      Delete
    2. Not excited but am perturbed.
      Yet again they have, apparently, executed their own plans even before informing his father, The King.
      IMO another illustration of their lack of consideration towards the wider consequences of their actions.

      Then the there is the problem of William and Kate, never mind navigating the British press.
      Plus the likelyhood of the possible negativity of parents of other children at the school they have chosen. Parents who are unlikely to want their children exposed to press and or public scrutiny.

      Yes all of the above sounds negative, but is a result of my feelings of being perturbed.

      Delete
    3. Just another episode in the ongoing soap opera around them for me Archerfile.

      Delete
    4. I think it's nice the children will be getting to know the other side of Harry's family. Just hope the media don't intrude on their lives. As private individuals rather than working royals they are entitled to privacy.

      Delete
    5. I'll believe it when it happens. For some reason I just can't see Meghan wanting to live in the UK, unless she's got some sort of new business plan afoot!
      Also Harry has objected on many a time about his lack of security on his very short previous visits..
      I just can't undersnd this massive U-turn.

      Delete
    6. I'm almost being cynical in suggesting it's a publicity stunt! 🙀

      Delete
    7. Wouldn’t be surprised if your cynicism proved to be true Miriam.

      Delete
  27. We have never seen the children’s faces yet how are they going to ensure we do not when living here. It could be that they want to hope The Daily Mail do slip up for real and they can win their 12 million back from them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What I originally came on to say was something I read about a happening in a HMP
    When the national alert went off, this sounded on illicit mobile phones hidden in cells. Staff then searched all and found a lot and those incumbents will now have their sentences increased .
    This might be fake news,but I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I honestly believe there is something intrinsically wrong with Harry. He has never recovered from being the second son and therefore unlikely to inherit the throne and always being junior to his brother. i think he enjoyed the Army but has never settled down since and constantly seeks ways to get attention. He has a jealous nature and Meghan was the worst thing that could have happened to him. Bolstering his sense of rejection by his family and demanding apologies. I have had enough of him but I fear for his innocent children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Harry that concerns me as well, as to how he seems to be totally under the influence of Meghan.
      Even their first meeting was a set up, so I believe
      I'm watching the latest series of Masterchef Australia and in one episode still to come, she is the guest judge, filmed when they were in Australia some months ago. She's hardly a celebrity or well known cook!

      Delete
  30. I don't care - not a fan, but I understand the King has excellent diplomacy skills which are helpful to the govt.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I feel that Harry & Meghan should be given the privacy they claim to be seeking. I really am not interested in them. They are not “working royals” so I hope my taxes do not get diverted for their security. Other than that I hope they can give their children a relatively normal low key upbringing as the Princess Royal did her off-spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really bothered what Harry and Meghan get up to. But the security questions feels odd to me. Former prime ministers get security for life, even though they are no longer in post, because they are deemed still to be at risk of attack. If politicians get it, why not members of the royal family, working or not? Harry's actions are his own choice, but being born third in line to the throne was not. If a potential killer has something against the royal family, are they really going to make a distinction between 'working royal' and 'non-working royal'?

      Delete
  32. Ptby if you still look in “Happy Birthday” 🎂 🎈 🎉 please tell Lan Jan that although I have not been in touch I do think of her and hope she is well and will try soon to give her a ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got you wrong too 20th not 21st that was Archerphile oh dear senior moment in stereo 🤭

      Delete
  33. Yay! “Happy Birthday “ ARCHERPHILE ⭐️🎉🎈🎂🍷👏🏻💐 enjoy your day 😀 with love from myself x and George x

    ReplyDelete
  34. OH NO 🫢 IT WAS YESTERDAY AND I KNEW THAT TOO, SO SORRY.! HOW DID IT GO?

    ReplyDelete
  35. LadyR - it's the thought that counts. I join you in best wishes to all.
    I also think of PtbY and Lanjan and know that they keep in touch with each other which is reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes Happy Birthday to everyone who has their birthday around this time. Instead of saying I hope you have sunshine on your special day I will say hope you have some nice refreshing rain on your gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you Lady R.
    I accidentally removed the blog off my phone a few weeks back and hadn’t got round to getting it back but Mrs P emailed me about your birthday wishes so I’ve finally made the effort and got back on.
    Lanjan is fine. Managing with the heat but sad that her garden has suffered. I’m going down in October for a visit. When I visited in spring she had me moving furniture about! God knows what she’ll have planned this next time.

    I’ve been doing very little in the heat and it’s made me lazy. I can’t be bothered with anything at the mo even though I emptied our hall stairs and landing 2 months ago ready to decorate!!

    Happy belated birthday Archerphile💐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that it was a technical matter Ptby.
      Carry on lazing around and don't look too closely into the corners.

      Delete
  38. Hope you had. Good Birthday ARCHERPHILE
    Sorry to be late in good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I’ve been reading an article this morning about the National Trust Holnicott Estate and the river Aller.
    This is the part of Exmoor that I live adjacent to and the Aller is the stream that runs through my little local park then underground through the town before entering the sea at the part of the beach most easily reached by me.
    The Holnicott Estate has for the last decade focused on bring this river back into a natural habitat by introducing beavers and the beavers have done a marvellous job, creating a new wetland. This has enabled a resurgence of wildlife to colonise and other species have been re introduced.
    The result has been that local farmers have had access to continuing lush grassland for their cattle during this extended drought.
    The article claims that this initiative is the most important landscape reconstruction in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear a good news story for a change MrsP.

      Delete
    2. I've been reading an article from the Boss Man of Chester Zoo about the Peak Clusture Project.
      The current plans as to the route of this pipe-line, is to rip up land in the 470acre conservation land owned + maintained outside of the main zoo site.
      This would mean destroying irreplaceable wetland habitats + ecosgstems, as well as jeopardise environmentally sensitive habitats, which are rich in biodiversity.
      Needless to say all local MP's, councillors plus councils are all fighting this pipeline with the government, as it will affect so many nearby areas, both rural + inhabited.

      Delete
    3. I hope their combined efforts win the fight against such plans.

      Delete
    4. It won't. The government has decided that this 125mile pipeline is needed + the route has been planned + approved.
      At least the opposers will give it a good go regardless.

      Delete
  40. The local ice cream van has just appeared again. It's a regular feature on alternative evenings always at about the same time.
    He's does very well, as goes past my house with chimes on + stops at the bottom of my cul-de-sac where he is for awhile.
    How lovely to see a local business doing so well. 🍦

    ReplyDelete
  41. I’ve experienced the strangest thing this evening.
    At about six o’clock with the sun shining and broad daylight I was coming out of my bedroom when a bat flew past me flying in a strait line from the open back door.
    It flew along the hallway straight into the lounge and out the open window.
    It wasn’t a small bat either.
    You can imagine how dumbstruck I was.

    Although surrounded by very tall trees I’ve never seen a bat in the garden before, only occasionally in the nearby park at dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I recently helped rescue a bat which had also flown in from a garden.
    I sometimes get birds in my living-room which scare me with all the panic and flapping at the windows, I love nature when it stays outside!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Talking about nature I will add that 21 young white storks have recently been released from where they were reared about 10 miles away from us. They are migratory birds but usually return to where they were born when old enough to breed. They are lovely birds, (I like cranes too) and didn't realise they were once native to Britain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The man organising the project is also encouraging beavers on his land because that will create wet lands that encourage the kind of foods that storks live on. Methinks a little foray to Bodmin Moor is called for to see if we can see any of these released storks. Some have flown further afield now, but apparently there are still some in the area where they were released.

      Delete
    2. That’s very exciting Janice. I do hope you get to see some.
      We have had a release of these white storks on Exmoor too, as part of the all round resurgence of native fauna. I do find all this work going on very encouraging.

      As well as my bat experience yesterday, last night an owl was back in the garden calling for a mate. I got up and stood at the back door listening to him very close by, then he moved to the tree opposite at the front, so I was at the opened window for about ten minutes before he moved away.

      Mistral, are they coming through your open windows ?

      Delete
  45. We occasionally get birds in the conservatory especially young ones, thankfully none of them have ever got into the house. We are quite adept at catching them without harming them by them using a towel.
    I've seen bats in our garden but never indoors apart from in the bat house at Chester Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flipping heck! I read that as catching them with a trowel ! lol.

      Delete
  46. The Peak Cluster has a pipeline in the area around where we live, it's going to cause a lot of disruption locally, especially to the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Mrs. P, the bat got onto my neighbour's house, she tried to catch it in a box but it was an escape artist...the wildlife charity she phoned advised catching it and taking it to a vet. They said not to put it outside on the grass because bats can't take off from the floor. It was very interesting, especially as by the time I got there, it had escaped again, so we had to do a search ;)

    ReplyDelete
  48. We have a light on our landing that is switched on for 30 seconds by movement - helping one to get to the loo. It then switches off again. One night I was woken by this light going on and off constantly, very sleep disturbing. Going to try and switch it off permanently I discovered the culprit was a bat flying round the landing, presumably come in via an open window. I gently guided him back to where he had come from!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh we have lost Dolly Parton I liked her very much, fun but talented and helped whenever she could especially with her children and reading books initiative providing millions of books. Lost her husband of nigh on 60yrs last year… together again 🙏bless them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my taste in music Lady R but I admired the her for the good she did with her fame and fortune. RIP Dolly 🌹

      Delete
  50. My answer to Arherphile to continue from the other blog about not being in awe of Dolly Parton.
    There were testimonies on WH that behind the facade she was a real person.
    I pointed out that male musicians look the same on and off stage and they hardly ever wear wigs and make up, so why women still have to market themselves?
    My idol was Tina Turner and she also wore wigs.
    Also on WH I found out that Ann Widdecombe lost weight and dyed her hair, which looked great as it was, to go on Strictly, I was disappointed.
    Well, I still like Dolly Parton's catchy tunes if I hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Sorry if I sounded mean on the other blog. C & W music definitely not to my taste. I know she was a generous, compassionate person and did a lot of good with her money, but the love-fest going on today is a bit over the top, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I watched on TV, when Dolly Parton was live at Glastonbury, and it was absolutely fantastic.
    I can't say I was a fan as such, but I did appreciate her song writing and performances.

    ReplyDelete
  53. C&W certainly not my taste either, but she has been a global success from an extremely poor background and she has done so by pure talent.
    I’m not at all fond of popular music either as it happens, but even I can appreciate her prodigious output in musical terms.
    She has also been a massive benefactor towards many critical movements such as the reading for children and the covid vaccination.
    And she’s been doing this for sixty years and made it to age eighty.

    I also feel quite strongly that when it’s overdrive for some celebrity or other, it usually coincides with a paucity of general news content available for general consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all you say about Dolly Parton Mrs P. She was a powerhouse of positivity right up to her death and as such deserves a day of world wide veneration. What would the alternative have been - Harry and Megan returning to UK !!!!!!!

      Delete
  54. What a hot + humid day, but no predicted thunderstorms nor rain!
    It was actually nice to go into the supermarket and appreciated it's cold AC this morning.
    I did well - total savings £30!
    It's surprising what can be saved with offers + member prices - these included Pusscats kibble + Gold Blend Coffee at £6.
    I admit I did do the 6 bottles of wine with 25% off, especially as the one Iike was also on a special price at £1 off. The one I buy is just 7% alcohol and is very palatable.
    I do like it when I get some great bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting rain here as well Miriam but didn't get any to speak of. I was grateful for that as I met up with a friend for a walk and lunch at Quarry Bank.

      Delete
    2. I must visit Quarry Bank again, as it's years since I was last there. I'll wait until the schools go back, which is next week I've just realised!

      Delete
  55. Tim Curry’s death yesterday saddened me a bit, Rocky Horror holds a special place in my heart. They say things come in threes and Trumpet is 80…..

    ReplyDelete
  56. An embarrassing moment today. The gas engineer was here for my boiler/CH + gas fire service. One thing was to check my CO monitor which when asked how old it was, I didn't know. I did say there was a date on it so insisted on taking it down to check it - down it came along with a lot of cobwebs.
    I was totally mortified! 🕸 🥺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that many people dust their CO monitors or smoke alarms Miriam!

      Delete
    2. I do vacuum the smoke alarm but somehow the CO monitor gets forgotten about, which is equally as important to maintain. To add my current CO one is dated April 2027 so think will order a new one soon, so have it ready. My previous one started beeping as to low battery before it's end date.
      How to stop it beeping, even 24hours in a bucket of water didn't work, so it was me + a hammer!
      No way to recycle so ended up in landfill.
      How I hate having to do things like this, which is the same with toothpaste tubes, single use eye drop vials etc.

      Delete
    3. Toothpaste tubes etc can go to Boots, as can tablet blister packs. https://www.boots.com/boots-recycling-scheme?srsltid
      You're supposed to use the app to check your items are eligible and get a money off voucher which is a faff, but you could probably just stick the odd item in their bin if you prefer to avoid the rigmarole of the app.

      Delete
    4. Thanks. I knew about the blister packs but didn't realise about toothpaste tubes.
      Very useful info. as I hate putting such things into landfill. 👍

      Delete
  57. Owias , great, I didn't know that. I put tomato puree tubes out to be recycled but never thought of toothpaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know that Boots recycled either, so thanks to OwiaS from me too.

      We have a man here who on his retirement opened a small ‘ save the earth ‘ shop soon after I moved here.
      I believe he had put his retirement savings and personal energy into what had been a lifetimes passion and has since increased his business by moving into larger premises in our high street.
      As well as all the good stuff he sells, along with recycled artisan products from Africa and suchlike, he has a blister pack scheme which I regularly use. However he has recently announced on his SM page that he is closing the scheme in September as the costs to him are now too high for him to sustain. I personally save all my blister packs and take in bulk to him, always making a substantial donation on each occasion, but not enough donations are made for him to be able to continue.
      So it’s doubly useful to know that Boots have a system too.

      This man also organises regular beach cleans which garner much rubbish much of it from our holiday visitors of course, and no doubt augmented by our seagull colony. We do have many many waste bins all along the promenade, but of course there are never enough and they are frequently overflowing, even though our town council put on extra bin emptying teams at certain times.

      Delete
    2. I always recycle my plastic bags at the supermarket. These include the bags the cat biscuits come in, along with crisp/nibble packets (my guilty pleasure), cellophane from supermarket goods though I try to limit this, the bag my frozen chips come in etc.
      This scheme is very popular now that the supermarket had increased the dropping off containers to two large ones.
      I know these go for incineration rather than recycling, but they at least don't go to landfill and in some cases, the heat produced is used.

      Delete
    3. Extra. I only put my general waste bin out, about every 6 weeks now.
      I'm not a recycling "nerd", just someone who does their bit when there's an alternative method of disposal.

      Delete
    4. I put out my general waste out 4 times a year as there is nothing organic in it.
      Compost twice a week on my way into town.
      We also have 8 large plastic/paper containers in the bin area - there are 16 flats.

      Delete
    5. I have my own plastic, garden waste, paper/cardboard bins which are emptied kerbside, like this morning at 6.30am!
      The supermarket container ones I use, are for those plastics which cannot be recycled via the kerbside bins.
      You're obviously lucky that your plastic recycle bin takes all types of plastic. It obviously depends on different local councils.

      Delete
    6. I too recycle small plastic and like you Miriam collect it in the very useful cat kibble bags. When they are full I take them to the supermarket.
      We have one garden waste bin between four flats which isn’t nearly enough but one resident frequently takes green waste to the recycling centre in town. I compost much of mine and make a huge effort at collecting leaves - of which there are plenty from this reasonably large property - in the autumn and bagging them for use in the garden.
      We have four general waste bins. Only one is used between us and I only have one kitchen bin full about once a month.

      Delete
    7. PS - I think I have to admit that I am a nerd !

      Delete
  58. On Wednesday I finally got to see an actual doctor regarding my carpal tunnel symptoms at yet another small community hospital in Bridgewater.
    He was kind, sympathetic and concerned for me, in no doubt that I should have the operation and assured me he would do his best to take it forward as urgent.
    He added that it’s never as short a wait as one hopes but would do his best.

    To my amazement I received a phone call the following morning, yesterday, giving me an appointment for surgery next Friday morning.
    I spent much time yesterday making arrangements for Lady to go overnight on Thursday and returned to me later on Friday, and organising transport to and from The Musgrove next Friday morning, as well as making sure my helpful neighbour will be at home to keep an eye on me on Friday itself.

    Needless to say I am much relieved but at the same time very aware that permanent nerve damage may already have set in, as well as aware that this operation does not always serve the purpose of relieving the problems.

    Many thanks to input from SOZ some weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvellous that your nice doctor must have really pushed to have you seen as soon as possible. Good luck next friday.

      Delete
    2. That is great news, not about the op. but how quickly it's going to be over + done with.

      Delete
    3. Good news MrsP, hope all goes well.

      Delete
    4. That’s really good news Mrs P. I’m sure it’ll make a difference. It might take some time (maybe even a year) for you to feel the full benefit of the op. As I said before, I still have pins and needles in the hand that was very bad, but the other one is back to normal.
      All the best for next Friday .

      Delete
    5. Thanks Soz - and others who have wished me well.
      How long ago did you have your operation Soz ?

      Delete
    6. Two and a half years ago - 2 months between the 2 operations

      Delete
  59. RAIN! Blessed rain! After so many dry weeks and a completely frazzled garden we have had proper lasting rain and a small thunder storm. The relief is tremendous and I have been standing outside, just getting wet! Wonderful
    We had two new gardeners start yesterday, a father and son who carried out miracles in the 2 hours they were here. Expensive but worth every penny. Mowed all the lawns, trimmed several tall hedges, pruned several overgrown bushes and even 'hoovered' up lots of rubbish and dead foliage from under the pergola. They are coming again in a fortnight. Their name is Amos, they are Jewish and used to live at Bushey where my parents are buried in the Jewish Cemetery, before moving to our village. What coincidence. And an unusual career for our folk but they are brilliant. A real find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be without my gardeners Archerfile. It frees me up from the jobs tI don't like to do the ones I do like.

      Delete
    2. I envy you both as I can’t afford a gardener.
      I am struggling with my garden and any money I’m spending is to make the garden itself accessible for me as I am aging so quickly.
      My garden is much larger than I had hoped to get, but compromises have to be made whenever any decision needs to be taken, and in this instance it was the size of the garden.

      Nevertheless pleased for you AP that you’ve now found good gardeners.

      Delete
    3. Ah the rain! Absolute bliss! I can already see green patches on the scorched lawns around me. The air quality can deteriorate though and it can become oppressive like here. I've taken to following the air quality and when it improved yesterday I could feel the difference which the site confirmed.
      Anyway, I used to go out with a small umbrella for sun protection and when the first light rain fell I left it at home for full immersion!

      Archerphile, your parents must have directed those gardeners towards you!

      Delete
    4. My lawn has gone green again very quickly which although is nice to see, it means the lawn mower will have to be again soon
      My lawn treatment bloke came about 4 weeks ago and I questioned why as everything was yellow + dry. .I felt I was paying for something not needed but he was right. The lawn feed/nutrients put down is very fine granules and would survive the heat. The recent downpours have activated it and immediatly started working so the grass is already looking good + healthy.
      Bean crop is over, but it's done me well. The ones I missed picking are left on the plants so I can harvest the beans for next year's crop.

      What a storm the other night, sheet lightning for over an hour like massive strobe lights going off continuously. The strange thing was it went very still, quiet + muggy, with no wind nor rain and very little thunder.
      It felt almost autumnal last night as I had condensation on the outside of my windows, so much so I couldn't see out and I do like to be nosy! I'm what is best described as a "curtain twitcher"! 😆


      Delete
    5. AP. What a find with your new gardeners who sound absolutely perfect. It must be such a relief for you both to get things how you want, so you can really enjoy your garden again in whatever way you want to..
      It's so nice to look out onto and this certainly lifts the spirits.
      I know what I spent on a gardener in May last year, to revamp mine. It was costly but money well spent, as the job was done so well it's now easy to maintain and keep on top of.
      As said before, I have a great trowel + fork which have sturdy 18" handles which makes things easier as don't need to bend over so much * careful with my glaucoma). These might help you with pottering around.

      Delete
  60. For us, it is worth paying for, the alternative would be a completely wrecked garden which would lower the value of the property and make it difficult to sell, when the time comes. The size of the garden is supposed to be it's big selling point and nobody would want to take on a 1/2 acre wilderness. They do far more for their fee than the 2 cleaners who also come once a fortnight. They never stay the full hour, leave cobwebs behind chairs and dust on skirting boards , yet charge the same per hour as the gardeners. Last week I asked if, for once, they could mop the laundry room floor as well as the kitchen but they 'didn't have time'. I'm thinking of doing without them and keeping the gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has a big house and even bigger garden. She and her husband work full time so need help with both cleaning and gardening. She’s been lucky to find efficient and very pleasant obliging ladies who clean. Your cleaners do not sound good. For the garden she has 2 men who call themselves “ cutters” - and that is what they do, cutting lawns and hedges. They do not touch the borders and , I suspect , they know very little about plants but they do keep the garden tidy.
      The idea was that my daughter would acquire the necessary skills to be the gardener and spend her free time destressing in the beautiful outside space!! It hasn’t all gone to plan but she is beginning to love the plants and lose herself in digging and planting.

      Delete
    2. Finding cleaners round here is incredibly hard, one of the joys of being a bit more isolated. I had a cleaner when the girls were younger but I went more part-time when we moved here so and am now retired so do my own housework, fortunately MrNuts has never stressed over a bit of mess. I keep the kitchen and bathrooms reasonable, blitz odd tasks when the urge hits me and go round more thoroughly when someone visits.MrNuts keeps the garden under control. At some point ( we expect 5-10 years)we will need to downsize which will be interesting

      Delete
  61. That is awful Archerphile were they recommend to you!🤔It would be wonderful if you could find a cleaner of the same dedication and worth their money (do you need two?) like your gardeners so pleased you have found them!
    Sitting here recovering from a stomach bug, at the worn out stage. Apparently I need electrolytes so my good friend is going to drop some sachets by or at the very least Lucozade sports drink. Missing George but said goddaughter has gone to see him again and hopefully we will do a video call within the hour unless he is asleep bless him. I am really missing him 😞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LadyR - I do hope that talking to George and a Lucozade pick me up will lift your spirits.
      How nice of the goddaughter to attend to you both.
      Hopefully next time you can go and visit yourself.

      Delete
    2. Hope the Lucozade helps LadyR and gives you enough oomph to be cheerful for your chat with George.

      In the last few years I’ve been able - occasionally- to overcome my lifelong (since childhood ) belief that I can only have Lucozade if I’m ill, so now sometimes buy it just to drink because it’s nice.

      Enjoy !

      Delete
  62. Goddaughter was able to get me some Electrorush sachets as pharmacy open until 7pm. So they should help. Have had an M&S free range egg (not foreign) with plain white toast and a small banana and all has gone well. Tina also did a video call from George’s cosy room and we were so pleased to see each other and that certainly lifted both our spirits. Thank you all for your kind thoughts🙏🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s one good thing about technologies. Hope you get well enough to visit George asap. 💐🍇😁

      Delete
  63. Anyone any nice plans for bank holiday Monday?
    I’ve got a bed sheet to iron, change a pan of dhal into soup for lunch and then stand and look at my emptied hall stairs and landing to contemplate actually doing some decorating of it!!
    (Been emptied for about 3 months now and haven’t faced doing anything whilst it’s been hot.).
    Must get it done for Christmas. 🤞😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PtbY - you've done the groundwork, so Christmas is a good deadline.
      I have a list of minor chores for the end of summer, whenever that will happen.

      Delete
  64. Goodness, is it bank holiday again? They don't mean anything to me nowadays, every day is the same.
    Lady R, do hope you are feeling much better now and will be able to visit George very soon. It is good you can keep in touch via modern technology!
    As for those cleaners, they are mother & daughter and have cleaned next door for several years . Next door suggested they come round to me when I said I could do with help. It is handy for the cleaners that they can do two houses in one trip. Neighbours must be less fussy than me! But they are moving in two weeks (having lived next door for over 40 years) so it would be a good time to part with cleaners too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only you could find someone like my late parents had. She was brilliant + went in twice a week for 2 hours each time, paid for by their joint attendance allowance payments.
      She cleaned, changed the beds, did the washing + then the ironing, cleaned windows etc. in a sort of routine.
      She was a treasure.

      Delete
  65. We're spending the bank holiday driving to visit middle daughter, not looking forward to the traffic!
    We will be on childcare duty for a few days again but with two older ones so should be a bit easier than last time.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Like ARCHERPHILE one BankHoliday passes me by as they seem to follow each other in quick succession.

    Slept until 3.15 today so not much of it left.
    Some gardening I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Well I didn’t iron the sheet or even stand and look at the hall for decorating. I got easily persuaded to visit a garden centre instead. They had started putting out their Christmas stock. Some lovely looking baubles.
    Bought an achillea plant that was on the bargain rack, had a coffee and half a cherry scone. I’m easily pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas stock 😱 tea and the half a scone though spot on plus a bargain!!

      Delete
  68. Oh dear ! This keeps happening to me. I spend some time writing here with some interesting snippet or a reply to another post, press publish, but it doesn't!
    By the way, the cleaners have been 'let go'. They will come next week to do a thorough clean next door before the house move, then not again until/unless requested by the new occupants. A suitable time for me to see if I can do without them. We only really use 2 rooms + bathroom upstairs + lounge, kitchen and hall downstairs. We can manage that ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤞🏼Archerphile maybe your next neighbours will find some new cleaners for themselves and then if needed you can start again. So annoying when a post goes awol 😡

      Delete
    2. Do you know anything about your neighbours to be?

      Delete
    3. Yes, they are the eldest son and daughter in law of the present occupants. Steve (short for Stephanie) inherited her mother's house in the next village last year and they are moving into it next week. They have spent months and a fortune on modernising, putting in new kitchen, floors, windows etc. Their son Alex (about 47) worked in Borneo for several years as a teacher, married a fellow teacher who is from the Philippines and they are coming back home to next door - Alex's childhood home. We knew him when he was 5 yrs old! His wife is pregnant, baby due November.
      A rather odd looking couple as Alex is 6' 7"" and very big with it, whereas his wife is tiny, under 5" in height.

      Delete
    4. How nice to hear of both daughter and son being in a position to carry the next generation forward in family homes.
      An event that once was quite normal now denied so many due to changes in how society manages family unity.

      Delete
  69. I was interested with the tales of bats a few days ago.
    Over the last few nights, I'm now aware that as dusk progresses, there are bats flying all around.
    I've never really noticed these before but are fascinating me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog