MiriamSeptember 5, 2026 at 3:08 PM What surprises me is how Natasha feels that she can set up a new skin care range when the market is already saturated with natural/botanical skin regimes, unless she has found a new, exciting ingredient unbeknownst to her competitors. Whoever invests in this new project has to be sure that they will get a good return on their money, so can Natasha guarantee this? She is financing this herself for now but how long can she do this. Summer Orchard doesn't seem to be that profitable since they struggled to get a mortgage when they bought the Beechwood house from Kirsty, Natasha was worried how they'd manage without Helen's rent, struggled to pay the Tea Room staff wages at one time plus the only way to pay the twins nursery fees was to use a credit card. If she is such an entenpreneur with such a successful juice empire, then I personally don't understand why she worries about money so much and so often.
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 4, 2026 at 8:18 PM A new writer, escalating George’s poor judgment even further !
REPLY
maryellenSeptember 5, 2026 at 6:25 AM Let’s.hope Amber can smooth things over!
JaniceSeptember 5, 2026 at 11:06 AM Oh dear! He does have to learn how to control his temper, and how to see another person's point of view. Whatever Anne Marie said about him farming I suspect she will be delighted to have him continuing to work with the car sales , where she can try to control her daughter via George. I think Amber herself commented What is she up to? so she has no illusions about her mother.
BasiaSeptember 5, 2026 at 2:38 PM Last night it looked as though both "couples" decided to separate. Yet, Esme was not brought in for nothing, so I think she is to stay and they'll work something out. George was keeping the truth from her and it could have been arranged between them, but no drama. Both Amber and her mother told him he should follow his instincts. Both he and Eddie have already taken advantage of Esme.
As for Harrison and Lily who sounded quite pleased that he's moved out, will he be sneaking in and out of the Bull, the actor is supposed to be moving on, so we'll see. Fallon felt she should have told Harrison about Conrad's interest in her, little does she know that Harrison has already moved one step further. Fallon tried to set up Lily with Conrad who instead was interested in her and Lily ended up entangled with her ex-husband. To be continued.
REPLY
MiriamSeptember 5, 2026 at 3:12 PM If things go forwards with Lily + Harrison, then I feel for Paul + Ben, as he'll be with her at The Stables rather than them sneaking around at The Bull, where Jolene would certainly not approve!
ArcherphileSeptember 5, 2026 at 5:27 PM I am wondering (day dreaming perhaps) that Anne Marie realises George is a born farmer and that it suits both him and Amber ..... so she buys Esmé's farm and gives or rents it to George and Amber. What a fantastic wedding/baby gift and what a relief for Esmé too!
REPLY
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 5, 2026 at 5:37 PM Interesting AP- I had similar thoughts too, although mine not quite as advanced as yours.
Meadow Farm is tenanted with the land owner not known. If Esme gives up, then the land owner will just appoint a new tenant farmer. Perhaps this is how Anne Marie can help, to guarantee the tenancy payments for George, Amber + baby Grundy for a year, and so George takes over the farm. This resembles how Ed took over the Grange Farm Guernsey herd, when Oliver gave him easy terms to help him live his dream. Perhaps history will be repeated. 🤷♀️
I have lots of thoughts about Esme's herd + milk. As it's Guernsey milk does it go somewhere to get the premium price this milk normally gets. Then there's when will her cows dry off to then calve, to keep the standard of milk at the premium quality. I'm surprised that Ed with his knowledge of Guernsey cows (though long past now) hasn't talked to George about this.
I just hope that George + family can take over Meadow Farm in some way. There is a downside to this though, in that for Esme to clear the debts she still owes, she would need to sell the cows + farm machinery - enter Bill + Anne to sort! My fairy wishing wand is working hard 🪄 As have said elsewhere, Esme's next tenancy payment is due on Michelmas Day ie September 29th.
I think I remember the owner of the farm wanted to sell it but Esme insisted on , perhaps had the right to, continuing her dad's tenancy. If Esme did decide to give up now then perhaps Amber's parents as some have said could buy it.
I have a very, very silly idea in that Meadow Farm is somehow linked to Brookfield...Phil or was it even Dan, did buy some land from Meadow Farm to increase the Brookfield acreage, but was there more to this?
I think I'm the only one not liking this Harrison + Lily liason. It just doesn't sound realistic to me at the moment, as they haven't even had a proper date and still seem just like friends, even though they've known each other for years Perhaps it's Lily, although she's 26yrs, talking about Uncle Kenton. 🤣 It all seems far too soon and desperate. I'd actually prefer to here what Brian is up to with his caravans and Kate's opposition, and that's saying a lot!
Miriam, I don't like them either, just stating the facts. To me Harrison sounds like an old man. Still, I may get used to them together. As I said before, with Harrison living at the Bull and Fallon working at LL, all good drama. Remember when Elizabeth took up with Vince and David was appalled, just like when he found out that Pip was pregnant and Toby was the father; it didn't go down well with Jill either. We're still to face her passing. There'll be more of Usha and I try to avoid listening to her.
Pip + Stella are due to be married in October but there's been no mention of arrangements, where + when, who's wearing what etc. plus I also would love to hear about Kirsty + her pregnancy. PS I think I'll be moaning about the upcoming nuptials soon as Pip + Stella are two of my personal least favourite characters! I've decided - I nitpick too much and should just go with the flow!
I’m. Wry much going with the flow of H and L at the moment. All happening a bit fast, so I’m putting it down to strong sexual attraction which is positive at the start but can often become an exciting habit without creating a functional relationship. What’s more Harrison is - understandably, conscious of not hurting Fallon and that is likely to be a problem that grows bigger by the day.
If the actor is due to leave TA, then a break up with Lily ( due to the tensions created by trying to keep any liaison secret) could precipitate his rapid departure and create drama in the form of friction twixt Lily and Fallon, left behind to negotiate the guilt and resentment between them.
Of course that then might create a sense of Harrison running away with his tail between his legs which might not go down too well with his many fans !
Both these exchanges were over emotional: Carol saying don't come back and Lily please come again, she's too serious all of a sudden, give it time. In the meantime Harrison's ex-mother-in-law is making him breakfast while his ex-wife worries about his well being!
She’s not yet his ex wife tho’ is she. It’s a slow and painful tearing apart at the moment between H and F and won’t be pretty if secrecy is not maintained regarding the sudden coupling of H and L. But hey, it’s drama !
As far as Carol is concerned, my favourite character of forty or fifty years ago is no more and I care little for her. Measured and consistent is how I remember her, though of course time may mean that I’ve forgotten her true character.
I sincerely wish Carol Tregorran would be sent off to live in The Laurels and never heard from again. Tonight's bat (batty) story was painful to listen to and both characters should be written out.
As for Lily and Harrison, if she got pregnant and he is desperate for a child then they could both ride off into the sunset. Also, Lily said that she tried to avoid married men - Russ left his wife for her and now again she's sailing close to the wind.
I just hope she and Anna become reconciled before anything happens.
As for Keira, again, I hope Khalil knocked some sense into her by pointing out that some people get ill without wishing it on themselves. I remember someone at school talking about bringing on a stomach upset to avoid school, but much younger than 15.
I am so very very cross with TA for turning the pragmatic steady and very sensible Carol Tregorran into this travesty that is being presented to us in these episodes. I am able to understand the need or wish to highlight the issue of old age and even of near death fear and am prepared to applaud TA for exploring the issue, but I wish they could have chosen a better candidate to be ‘ the victim ‘. I do not deny that many people feel this way, but they are usually people who have always been fearful of either life in general or of significant crises in life. NOT the confident down to earth types such as CT. They have brought back an out of date character to explore old age and death and have changed that person out of all proportion to the character many of us remember. And I remember her with fondness, whilst I now experience her with extreme irritation.
Ahh ! So, we heard from Carol between 14 and 18, but then silent, though possibly mentioned between 18 and this year, when she again became voiced by a different actor. This suggests your suggestion may be correct ME, and if so suggests also a rethink from the team.
My hope is that Anna moves Carol into a care home near to where she lives, ie away from Ambridge. Brookfield will then have to revamp Glebe Cottage to be able to rent it out again. Remember It is only due to Josh in their inheritance plans, so remains Brookfield property until then.
Carol T reappeared after the death of hubbie John and the funeral was in Ambridge. She was a close friend of Jill, who suggested she moved into Glebe since it was empty, having moved back into Brookfield permanently after the burglary which was when PC Burns first appeared! Carol was a sort of herbalist making lotions + potions at that time, I think. John must have left Carol quite well off, as he also left Jennifer £40,000 in cash.
I agree with ME that this SL was meant for Jill in some way even though livng in Brookfield. With David + Ruth who are always busy on the farm, Leonard would then have been her sole helper who would perhaps not have been quite so accommodating. I also thought at one time that Bert would be the subject of this SL - alone in Ambridge View whilst Neil + Susan were out working, not being able to get to the pub, no company + an accident happened so was on the floor for hours until found.
At least it's out in the open now. Harrison goes to the Stables and Fallon back to the Bull? Anyway, best if Harrison and Lily go off together, as I said before.
Oh that was so painful. And for me so similar to the end of my marriage. I feel for them both and understand the behaviour from them both.
If, as has been suggested, Lily becomes pregnant, it might indeed work out for her and Harrison, but where will that leave Fallon ? Perhaps crying on Elizabeth’s shoulder !
I'm sure Lily is sensible enough to have suitable contraception such as an implant or other long term protection, or went + got the "morning after pill".
If only the subject of parenthood had been spoken about from the beginning - pre marriage it seems they really love each other but not enough to surmount this issue or certainly not without outside help. What though would the answer be? If Fallon had not been able to have children would that have split them up? Harrison wants a family very much but would be wise only to do so with real love for a partner otherwise that marriage could be unhappy for that reason.
Absolutely, it sounded so real. Fallon showed a whole range of emotions, from the mundane to affectionate, accusing and irrational. Harrison steady, honest and confused.
It was brilliant but then look at the writer - Katie Hims, who's always seems to be given a nitty-gritty SL to script. She also did a veey realistic job with the Anna/Carol episode in the hospital, which was true to life. The Katie Hims radio serial I just loved was 24, Kildare Road, sadly no longer on Sounds.
To add. Why I thought the hospital episode so realistic was Carol saying -Have you come to take me home. This resonated to me as to when the family was called to the hospital at 1.30am. All family got there, even little Sis who drove 5hours from Norfolk. Mum rallied very briefly, looked at Dad, her husband for 63yrs and asked exactly the same question. She passed just an hour later. I found this simple question in TA so memory provoking and realistic
And I seem to remember one, or possibly more, two-handers featuring Kathy after she was raped all those years ago. I think one may have been with Kenton, or perhaps Pat. Very dark and very affecting. Can't quite remember who else was around at the time. Have to look up one of my Archers books
Archerphile, I have a vague memory that it was a monologue from Kathy to her therapist. I may be wrong about the details but I agree that it was very affecting.
I'm no great fan of this Harrison + Lily thing. But if Harrison is serious about wanting it to be something permanent, hadn't he better find out PDQ whether or not she wants children? If she doesn't, and they push forward anyway, it will all end in heartache. Again.
Very very good point but surely your love of the person comes first then children if you can have them a marriage just to be able to have children was of the old days when you could not have a baby and keep it unless you were married - my ex mother in law did this just to be able to have a family and it was an awful marriage as all she wanted was children and then for them ideally not to marry. Eldest daughter did though and of course my ex which is why we were a disaster the strings were never cut but the youngest daughter never did get away.
All very true, and I'm sorry for your family's bad experiences. But the main reason Harrison's marriage broke up is that he desperately wanted children, and Fallon emphatically did not. If Lily is equally determined to remain child-free, then Harrison will be just as torn as he was with Fallon. But already it seems that he is more committed to a relationship than Lily is. So perhaps things will fizzle out.
I have rarely watched East Enders in all its decades, but my understanding of its content is similar to that we were given in this evenings episode of TA which I did not appreciate.
Barbara Windsor lives “get outta my pub” ! The whole situation does not sit well with me I really don’t think Harrison would have reacted so quickly in this manner…..
Remember, Sid threw Cathy out and when she came back they had a baby. Sid asked Jolene if she wanted children, but no. Is there a baby somewhere along the line that Harrison runs off with, as he wants to leave?
I’m finding the Harrison + Lily affair totally unconvincing and destined to end hopefully sooner rather than later, especially as the actor playing Harrison (who is the son of the playwright Jim Cartwright) is reported to be moving on. It’s partly because I have always found the character of Harrison unconvincing .
It was all clumsily contrived to make Harrison the culprit who supposedly left Fallon for a younger woman. Now Fallon, Jolene and Lily hold it against him. He's going to stay in Borchester for now and then disappear altogether.
Carol, Carol, Carol 😡 I’m a softie as a rule but you truly are trying my patience. I understand what you mean about the watch but not to be able to give a thought to dear Leonard’s and Tony’s well intentioned kindness beggars belief. What an unhappy rest of your life you are going to experience by not giving a thought about anyone but yourself.
A lesson for you and Tony, Leonard - first ask what the recipient of your good deed wants, not surprise them with what you think they would want. You were irretrievably wrong about Carol’s wishes and deserved her ticking off (sorry, folks!)
It seems you and me are the only ones to understand Carol - the watch stopped together with Richard's heart, or so we'd like to imagine. Pity though that Tony didn't accept Joy's joyful offer, so Leonard got disappointed twice.
Moving on from that, I said above Fallon might go back to the Bull and if Joy does take care of jewellery repairs, they will need extra help. Also, Fallon won't get properly paid until next year and will find it difficult at LL until the gossip subsides. They've got someone new though at the Bull.
Sorry Maryellen and Basia, I cannot forgive Carols down right rudeness and ingratitude. There is no need to be like that. She could have told Leonard about the importance of the watch without making him feel guilty. How her daughter puts up with her I do not know. But this story has had one good side effect and that is to warn me to ke kind and keep some negative feelings to myself when any of my family offer unwanted help!
Carol so reminds me of a Gt. Aunt of mine who was a feisty character, an ex-headmistrss who lived until she was 98yrs. She was a wonderful person but it was always - When I say jump, you jump! Towards her end of life she also became very demanding but that was just her way of life and knew no difference. At least she was sensible enough to sell her home in the south and take up residence in a loving residential home, near to both my Mum + myself and other family members. She felt she wanted to be close to the family members she knew best, as she had never married so had no children.
Sorry Archerphile, but I don’t think Carol’s outspokenness exonerates Leonard and Tony. They should not have tinkered with her property without her permission, however well-meaning they were.
Besides, Carol mentioned nappies, which we wear at the start and some towards the end. In the same way we (not all) revert to our real nature without constraints and say what we really feel, not withholding or apologising for our comments.
My comment now is a bit weird. Has anyone else noticed that Jill is no longer mentioned. Last night Leonard was buying chocolates to take to Carol, saying he was going to visit, which might easily have been Jill + are going to visit, or Jill isn't coming with me as she isn't feeling well. Equally at the hospital he could have said similar to Carol along with saying how she wanted to come. I just found this strange as Carol + Jill were such good friends. Perhaps I'm overthrowing again..🙀
My ideas for what there worth, is something in October, with both Pip + Stella's nuptials plus Jill's birthday (96th?) happening. Then again there's November with what would have been her + Phil's 69th wedding anniversary. I just feel, rightly or wrongly, that her demise might be linked to these months.
Miriam - you are frequently prescient in your predictions and I would suggest that either of the two occasions you mention above might well be used to ‘ handle Jill’s departure’ to quote CC. Very thoughtful of you.
And yes, it is noticeable that Jill is being left out of conversations that might well have included mention of her previously.
ARCHERPHILE - I do agree with you about Carol Tregorran - she has become insufferable and it reminds each of us of the need to buckle our tongue on occasions. I am really disliking the character that is being drawn of a distinctive member of the village in times past that a number of us may have been familiar with.
I also agree with BASIA in that I have always thought that our traits when young, good or bad, become highlighted as we age, which is even more reason for some of us listeners to object to the way in which the current writers are mistreating Carol Tregorran. I note that Janice agrees with me on this point.
Another thought about Jill's demise, is Stir Up Sunday always a special day for Jill + her family, probably the end of November. I just feel that there has to be an event of some sort to mark the sad occasion, as they did with Peggy +VE Day. Even Bert Fry had his moment in one of his favourite places - The Bull. Freda Fry had the flood Sid Perks in New Zealand, Phil listening to his favourite music ... I remember these departures as to where they were + why, which is why I hope that there'll be similar with Jill, which we know has to happen sadly.
I wonder if the SW will make Jill’s end a peaceful one - passing in bed in her sleep. Although that would be very similar to how Phil passed albeit in his armchair listening to his favourite classical music, and found by Jill on her return from an outing with whom I cannot remember and the episode ending in complete silence if I recall correctly…..
Just looked it up. They'd been to the hat museum, had great fun trying on hats followed by lunch. They went back to Glebe for a cup of tea and found Phil.
Well done LIZ JOHN writer of tonights episode. A gentle death for Carol and the revelation from her that all her recent behaviour has been to do with her fear.
‘ why didn’t you wait for me mum ?’ Because Carol didn’t want to say goodbye. She has hung on to the obsession with Richard because she didn’t have the opportunity to say goodbye, and now she has chosen to not say goodbye to Anna.
I’ve never been unable to accept the end of a life and I sincerely hope that when my time comes I can say a proper goodbye to my daughters, although I’m aware that my eldest is most likely to avoid that moment.
I agree MrsP and thank you for explaining why it happened this way.
Your namesake MrsP died alone, but there were two cups and it turned out that Sharon was the last one to see her. Phil of course and then Siobhan when Brian and Elizabeth saw the priest when they came back. There was Nigel shouting: it's Mummy, she's dead! It remains to see what they do about Jill. I prefer to limit myself to fictional.
Now that I’ve re read your post I think I vaguely remember the ‘ two cups ‘ incident with Mrs P. Was Sharon, the Sharon that was in a relationship with John, ( and the caravan ), who it transpired decades later, had Johns son, who then came to Ambridge to farm with Pat and Tony ? ( And has now gone travelling the globe never to be seen again unfortunately since he was a popular character even though I can’t remember his name ) But I can remember his voice which was very distinctive !
Yes, Sharon who was with John and then left him, but later they had an affair and when Hayley found out she left him in turn and then he died in a tractor accident, also alone, which unlike the others was totally unexpected. As Mistral says, Johnny was the result. What I meant was fictional rather than personal which doesn't belong here anyway.
I was really upset for Anna to not get there in time. It's so hard not to be there when someone you love dies. At least though Carol was not alone, as others can be.
Much to my annoyance, Johnny was absolutely devoted to farming and his exit did not make any sense at all 😡 No doubt he will pop up again one day as Kenton did…..
Yes, and if Carol has given money to Alan ( keeping in mind he mentioned they were 5/6000 short of the funding needed for the bell, and the fact he reminded her of Richard) that will taint Anna's memory of being given flowers. She will think her mother only did that in order to get his bank details. It was noticeable how Carol insisted on finishing the repayment after Alan's input of his bank details.
I thought it a beautifully written episode and needless to say I was in floods ( I am ridiculously lacrimose and blub at the drop of a hat) but I also thought it was a bit of a cop out in terms of of exploring the difficulties of supporting elderly relatives when you live some distance away and there are tensions within the relationship.
I thought that they covered the distance factor quite well over the last months. There was Anna ringing Helen as she couldn't get hold of her, so she + Tom went to check on her, Leonard stepping in when someone went in to look at putting rails etc in. The dreaded pendant alarm was sent to Brookfield, with Leonard yet again going + setting it up. This did show how the distance + work caused a problem with such care + attention, as Anna relied on others to help.
I am a Little puzzled how Richard manage to spend so much time with Carol, both before and after her hospitalisation. She seemed to be his sole parishioner needing attention for several weeks, assisted by Usha after the fall. Does he have no other parishioners needing his time or concern? I understand his genuine concern for her, but it almost became an obsession towards the end.
Oh lord! I'm getting terrible with names! Why did I pick Richard of all things. Might be something to do with my post on the other page ....names! Is it a first sign........?
Richard was Carol's beloved son who died and she talked about him incessantly, putting him above Anna, because he was no longer there. Hence the confusion Archerphile. I absolutely abhor this idolising of those departed. I've not changed my opinion of anyone, not for the better anyway, sometimes for the worse.
AP Rubbish! Were you listening in bed + tired?. I do the same, snuggle down listening to something but sort of semi-doze, so have to listen again to clarify things!
No problem re Alan’s workload, Archerphile. He evidently reprioritised and rearranged his his commitments to allow him to give Carol the attention she merited at her end. Carol She was not just a parishioner but a close neighbour verging on friend. Suggesting he was negligent regarding his other duties is unfair!
Persuasion? It sounded like manipulation to me. Yes, they're family, so is half of Ambridge! If the invitation was just addressed to tom and Natasha, at the very least they should have asked for clarification as to whether the twins were invited or not, rather than just assuming. My brother-in-law and his wife chose to have a child-free wedding. Yes, it was disappointing not to be able to take the Small People in a Shoe, but we respected the couple's choice and left our offspring with their grandparents for the day. Weddings can be boring for small children. Some couples choose to make provision for them, especially if several of their families and friends have youngsters. Others prefer to keep it adults only. It is bad manners to go against their wishes. Besides, why did the 4 year olds need 'pretty expense outfits' to go to the wedding?
OWIAS. My reaction was the same - manipulation, which she always does so well, just like with Tom + their mortgage, to get what she wanted. I daren't say any more...🫣
It sounded like it was Ania at the shop, who had to sort out her leave to remain. An insert about the immigration rules tightening, no matter how long one's been in the country.
A silent character, who used to work at Bridge Farm shop in Borchester and presumably is now still at the Farm Shop. Ruth garbled her name, but it couldn't be anyone else. She's hardly ever mentioned, but now to highlight the immigration crisis. I think she may be from Ukraine/Poland?
I found Natasha pretty unbearable last night (sorry ME). Using all her persuasive skills to take her girls to a wedding they were not invited to sounded very much like wheedling to me. Why should her two go when no other children apart from Rosie (who is obviously an exception) are invited. As for complaining that she had spent on expensive outfits for them , well that is up to her. I thought she and Tom are short of money so why spend on fancy clothes? Does Tom know I wonder?
As have said elsewhere, the terrible twins are only 4yrs and can't imagine them sitting still + behaving for any length of time. Natasha certainly won't want to keep them occupied throughout the event, she'll be too busy promoting her Botanicals range even though she's now buying it in and sticking her own labels on it! Yes I am being cynical.
She was saying it's all being sourced from a small, organic and very reputable local producer- but at what cost? Then there's the packaging, the marketing, the sales launch which will all add up, plus will it sell as something different + unique. Her business plan must be quire a read 🤣
I thought Rosie was younger too. I doubt she'd be highly excited about playing with the twins at the wedding - it sounds more like Natasha would expect her to keep them entertained so she doesn't have to. I'm sure Rosie would rather have her friend Maddie there for the day rather than her little (third) cousins who won't even be allowed to play in case they spoil their expensive outfits. (I suspect, to be honest, that Stella would be quite happy for Rosie not to be there either. Perhaps she'll suggest to Pip that Rosie will be bored and would be far happier playing at Maddie's house for the day - with the added bonus that then the Terrible Twins would not be needed to keep her entertained.)
I’m extremely comfortable with manipulation, persuasion and wheedling to describe Natasha who in my book is utterly detestable. Detestable Maryellen, because the points about her that you admire and like are despatched with her undoubted charm. Two sides of a personality that are in conflict or competition with each other. And it’s her friends and loved ones that she imposes these traits upon. And what’s more, it is clear that she knows precisely which side of her character to display on any occasion, and her choice, each time is deliberate. She is indeed psychologically, an extremely clever human being.
Natasha certainly knows how to talk to + bamboozle Justin, who thinks she's suvh a wonderful business woman. Not sure if bamboozle is the correct term I'm looking for, but hope my meaning is clear.
If Brad had learned about the bus time changes earlier he could have learned to drive and passed his test by now 😂🤣 really Brad, all those lesson and a then a test date in less than about a year the way it is going these days - but then he does live in Ambridge 🧚♀️
There again, Anna is clearly very shaken and possibly not thinking or acting rationally. Not to mention the fact that had Ruth not called round Anna would have still been asleep 'til lunchtime and would have missed the day in court anyway. A tough of gratitude might be in order ...
Let’s hope Anna has a safe drive albeit she drove off in a very precarious way barely awake and no proper food / drink inside her plus of course in a state of great grief. If not she would have been better and safer left to oversleep. Her drive of two hours plus dangerous in such an anxious state to herself and others on the road!
What Ruth didn't mention to Anna when she was recounting her mother's death, was that to make room for her ailing mother, Jill was "persuaded" to move out of Brookfield to live with Elizabeth. Jill was very hurt by this and it caused a lot of tension as David didn't like the idea of evicting his mother.
During their conversation, I thought Anna was beginning to sound very like Carol.
I was surprised by Brad’s self-centred approach in organising his family to suit his purely personal plans. I hadn’t really noticed that trait in him before. What was it telling us?
Can't help wondering if that is a slight autistic trait. Don't know much about it but I think a facility for memory and retention of minute detail can be one of the traits. Don't want to start a medical argument - perhaps there are others here who know much more than me.
I have always understood Brad to be on the autistic scale, albeit slightly ARCHERPHILE. I have a feeling that we have discussed this at some point in the past.
I'm not totally convinced he is actually neurodivergent. My reasoning is that when he's heard at work with Zainab, Mick, Lily and others, plus when he's with George and his times with Amber, there doesn't seem to be any other indication/s, well not that I've noticed. To me he is an expert in numerology and I think of him as a bit of a "boffin" with a narrow field of other interests.
We have never been told Brad is neurodivergent.Tracy has never noticed and sought a diagnosis anymore than she noticed Chelsea’s adenoids and did something about it. I think we are meant to work it out for ourselves, aided by whopping great clues like his total recall of the bus timetable.
Thanks ME. You have confirmed what I’ve always felt. And BASIA thanks too, I felt sure we had discussed it before although it’s never been mentioned amongst the family.
I like the boffin idea. I have a grandson like that, very into statistics (taking it at Uni) and could tell you incredible detail on all sorts of subjects. But no other signs at all. Perhaps he is another Brad.
A nephew of mine is the same but with computers. He has a highly paid and very successful job in IT + computer planning now. He's never married though due to his limited interests in other things and is far being from neurodivergent.
Helen was all very pleasant about Brad knocking her gate, but I suspect that she will source & have installed an expensive (bespoke order from Chris?) and then present Brad with a much larger bill than he can comfortably manage. Ill-feeling will ensue!
Jazzer said that the mangled gate resembled a modern sculpture. Perhaps Chris could fashion something out of that? I still don't understand why Tracy thinks that Helen should replace it herself.
Well here he is baby “Joe” at least if Amber is in agreement, baby was obviously going to be born tonight - Friday to end the week on a high. In the end both Amber and George came up trumps, George after Brad giving him a firm talking to!
What a noisy birth scene! Perhaps a bit too realistic for me but I'm glad the baby is safe and well. And so pleased Brad was such a good support for George, he sounded like the really good friend that George needed at that time. If we have to listen into Kirsty giving birth I hope it's a bit quieter and less dramatic! 👶
MiriamSeptember 5, 2026 at 3:08 PM
ReplyDeleteWhat surprises me is how Natasha feels that she can set up a new skin care range when the market is already saturated with natural/botanical skin regimes, unless she has found a new, exciting ingredient unbeknownst to her competitors.
Whoever invests in this new project has to be sure that they will get a good return on their money, so can Natasha guarantee this?
She is financing this herself for now but how long can she do this. Summer Orchard doesn't seem to be that profitable since they struggled to get a mortgage when they bought the Beechwood house from Kirsty, Natasha was worried how they'd manage without Helen's rent, struggled to pay the Tea Room staff wages at one time plus the only way to pay the twins nursery fees was to use a credit card.
If she is such an entenpreneur with such a successful juice empire, then I personally don't understand why she worries about money so much and so often.
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 4, 2026 at 8:18 PM
A new writer, escalating George’s poor judgment even further !
REPLY
maryellenSeptember 5, 2026 at 6:25 AM
Let’s.hope Amber can smooth things over!
JaniceSeptember 5, 2026 at 11:06 AM
Oh dear! He does have to learn how to control his temper, and how to see another person's point of view. Whatever Anne Marie said about him farming I suspect she will be delighted to have him continuing to work with the car sales , where she can try to control her daughter via George. I think Amber herself commented What is she up to? so she has no illusions about her mother.
BasiaSeptember 5, 2026 at 2:38 PM
ReplyDeleteLast night it looked as though both "couples" decided to separate. Yet, Esme was not brought in for nothing, so I think she is to stay and they'll work something out. George was keeping the truth from her and it could have been arranged between them, but no drama. Both Amber and her mother told him he should follow his instincts. Both he and Eddie have already taken advantage of Esme.
As for Harrison and Lily who sounded quite pleased that he's moved out, will he be sneaking in and out of the Bull, the actor is supposed to be moving on, so we'll see.
Fallon felt she should have told Harrison about Conrad's interest in her, little does she know that Harrison has already moved one step further. Fallon tried to set up Lily with Conrad who instead was interested in her and Lily ended up entangled with her ex-husband.
To be continued.
REPLY
MiriamSeptember 5, 2026 at 3:12 PM
If things go forwards with Lily + Harrison, then I feel for Paul + Ben, as he'll be with her at The Stables rather than them sneaking around at The Bull, where Jolene would certainly not approve!
ArcherphileSeptember 5, 2026 at 5:27 PM
I am wondering (day dreaming perhaps) that Anne Marie realises George is a born farmer and that it suits both him and Amber ..... so she buys Esmé's farm and gives or rents it to George and Amber.
What a fantastic wedding/baby gift and what a relief for Esmé too!
REPLY
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 5, 2026 at 5:37 PM
Interesting AP- I had similar thoughts too, although mine not quite as advanced as yours.
Meadow Farm is tenanted with the land owner not known. If Esme gives up, then the land owner will just appoint a new tenant farmer.
ReplyDeletePerhaps this is how Anne Marie can help, to guarantee the tenancy payments for George, Amber + baby Grundy for a year, and so George takes over the farm.
This resembles how Ed took over the Grange Farm Guernsey herd, when Oliver gave him easy terms to help him live his dream.
Perhaps history will be repeated. 🤷♀️
I have lots of thoughts about Esme's herd + milk. As it's Guernsey milk does it go somewhere to get the premium price this milk normally gets. Then there's when will her cows dry off to then calve, to keep the standard of milk at the premium quality.
DeleteI'm surprised that Ed with his knowledge of Guernsey cows (though long past now) hasn't talked to George about this.
Miriam, you have developed AP, MrsP suggestions into very insightful thoughts, it would be good if they came to fruition.
DeleteI just hope that George + family can take over Meadow Farm in some way.
DeleteThere is a downside to this though, in that for Esme to clear the debts she still owes, she would need to sell the cows + farm machinery - enter Bill + Anne to sort!
My fairy wishing wand is working hard 🪄
As have said elsewhere, Esme's next tenancy payment is due on Michelmas Day ie September 29th.
I think I remember the owner of the farm wanted to sell it but Esme insisted on , perhaps had the right to, continuing her dad's tenancy. If Esme did decide to give up now then perhaps Amber's parents as some have said could buy it.
ReplyDeleteI have a very, very silly idea in that Meadow Farm is somehow linked to Brookfield...Phil or was it even Dan, did buy some land from Meadow Farm to increase the Brookfield acreage, but was there more to this?
DeleteLove the picture.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteOnly a matter of time before Lily and Harrison stop avoiding each other!
ReplyDeleteSure is BASIA
DeleteNo time at all for musical chairs - bet it was tomorrow and Paul was right, but Lily just turned up at the Bull accidentally on purpose.
DeleteJust listened !
DeleteI’ve a big smile on my face….. think it’s quite sweet really………. Makes me remember those awkward first moments ……..
Mmmm, yes, sweet !
I think I'm the only one not liking this Harrison + Lily liason. It just doesn't sound realistic to me at the moment, as they haven't even had a proper date and still seem just like friends, even though they've known each other for years
ReplyDeletePerhaps it's Lily, although she's 26yrs, talking about Uncle Kenton. 🤣
It all seems far too soon and desperate.
I'd actually prefer to here what Brian is up to with his caravans and Kate's opposition, and that's saying a lot!
Miriam, I don't like them either, just stating the facts.
DeleteTo me Harrison sounds like an old man.
Still, I may get used to them together.
As I said before, with Harrison living at the Bull and Fallon working at LL, all good drama.
Remember when Elizabeth took up with Vince and David was appalled, just like when he found out that Pip was pregnant and Toby was the father; it didn't go down well with Jill either. We're still to face her passing.
There'll be more of Usha and I try to avoid listening to her.
I'm not enthused about the Lily and Harrison storyline Miriam.
DeletePip + Stella are due to be married in October but there's been no mention of arrangements, where + when, who's wearing what etc. plus I also would love to hear about Kirsty + her pregnancy.
DeletePS I think I'll be moaning about the upcoming nuptials soon as Pip + Stella are two of my personal least favourite characters!
I've decided - I nitpick too much and should just go with the flow!
I’m. Wry much going with the flow of H and L at the moment.
DeleteAll happening a bit fast, so I’m putting it down to strong sexual attraction which is positive at the start but can often become an exciting habit without creating a functional relationship.
What’s more Harrison is - understandably, conscious of not hurting Fallon and that is likely to be a problem that grows bigger by the day.
If the actor is due to leave TA, then a break up with Lily ( due to the tensions created by trying to keep any liaison secret) could precipitate his rapid departure and create drama in the form of friction twixt Lily and Fallon, left behind to negotiate the guilt and resentment between them.
Of course that then might create a sense of Harrison running away with his tail between his legs which might not go down too well with his many fans !
Both these exchanges were over emotional: Carol saying don't come back and Lily please come again, she's too serious all of a sudden, give it time. In the meantime Harrison's ex-mother-in-law is making him breakfast while his ex-wife worries about his well being!
ReplyDeleteShe’s not yet his ex wife tho’ is she.
DeleteIt’s a slow and painful tearing apart at the moment between H and F and won’t be pretty if secrecy is not maintained regarding the sudden coupling of H and L.
But hey, it’s drama !
As far as Carol is concerned, my favourite character of forty or fifty years ago is no more and I care little for her.
DeleteMeasured and consistent is how I remember her, though of course time may mean that I’ve forgotten her true character.
You have remembered correctly Mrs P. I don't like this present day character at all, totally self centred and totally uncaring of her daughter.
DeleteI sincerely wish Carol Tregorran would be sent off to live in The Laurels and never heard from again.
ReplyDeleteTonight's bat (batty) story was painful to listen to and both characters should be written out.
I agree wholeheartedly AP
DeleteOld bat, baby bat and piggy in the middle.
DeleteAs for Lily and Harrison, if she got pregnant and he is desperate for a child then they could both ride off into the sunset. Also, Lily said that she tried to avoid married men - Russ left his wife for her and now again she's sailing close to the wind.
ReplyDeleteAll over dramatic for me and Keira as well.
ReplyDeleteShe went to the graveyard to lie down and die.
DeleteJust the way I intend to go.
DeleteARCHERPHILE - your wish might just come true very soon.
I just hope she and Anna become reconciled before anything happens.
DeleteAs for Keira, again, I hope Khalil knocked some sense into her by pointing out that some people get ill without wishing it on themselves.
I remember someone at school talking about bringing on a stomach upset to avoid school, but much younger than 15.
I assumed Carol was looking for her bat, tripped and fell.
DeleteYes, you were right Maryellen.
DeleteI am so very very cross with TA for turning the pragmatic steady and very sensible Carol Tregorran into this travesty that is being presented to us in these episodes.
ReplyDeleteI am able to understand the need or wish to highlight the issue of old age and even of near death fear and am prepared to applaud TA for exploring the issue, but I wish they could have chosen a better candidate to be ‘ the victim ‘.
I do not deny that many people feel this way, but they are usually people who have always been fearful of either life in general or of significant crises in life.
NOT the confident down to earth types such as CT.
They have brought back an out of date character to explore old age and death and have changed that person out of all proportion to the character many of us remember.
And I remember her with fondness, whilst I now experience her with extreme irritation.
Absolutely agree. However old you become you are still the same person inside.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI think Carol has been brought back as a substitute for Jill who I can imagine being pretty difficult herself in a similar situation
DeleteCarol was re introduced several years ago now Maryellen.
DeleteIf your thoughts are correct then it was some almighty forward thinking from the TA team.
Google says Carol’s current actor, Mia Soteriou, took on the role in March 2026, replacing Eleanor Bron who played Carol from 2014-2018.
DeleteAhh !
DeleteSo, we heard from Carol between 14 and 18, but then silent, though possibly mentioned between 18 and this year, when she again became voiced by a different actor.
This suggests your suggestion may be correct ME, and if so suggests also a rethink from the team.
Whichever it is….. it’s unsatisfactory IMO
My hope is that Anna moves Carol into a care home near to where she lives, ie away from Ambridge.
DeleteBrookfield will then have to revamp Glebe Cottage to be able to rent it out again.
Remember It is only due to Josh in their inheritance plans, so remains Brookfield property until then.
Carol T reappeared after the death of hubbie John and the funeral was in Ambridge. She was a close friend of Jill, who suggested she moved into Glebe since it was empty, having moved back into Brookfield permanently after the burglary which was when PC Burns first appeared!
DeleteCarol was a sort of herbalist making lotions + potions at that time, I think.
John must have left Carol quite well off, as he also left Jennifer £40,000 in cash.
I agree with ME that this SL was meant for Jill in some way even though livng in Brookfield. With David + Ruth who are always busy on the farm, Leonard would then have been her sole helper who would perhaps not have been quite so accommodating.
ReplyDeleteI also thought at one time that Bert would be the subject of this SL - alone in Ambridge View whilst Neil + Susan were out working, not being able to get to the pub, no company + an accident happened so was on the floor for hours until found.
At least it's out in the open now. Harrison goes to the Stables and Fallon back to the Bull?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, best if Harrison and Lily go off together, as I said before.
Oh that was so painful.
ReplyDeleteAnd for me so similar to the end of my marriage.
I feel for them both and understand the behaviour from them both.
If, as has been suggested, Lily becomes pregnant, it might indeed work out for her and Harrison, but where will that leave Fallon ?
Perhaps crying on Elizabeth’s shoulder !
I'm sure Lily is sensible enough to have suitable contraception such as an implant or other long term protection, or went + got the "morning after pill".
DeleteIf only the subject of parenthood had been spoken about from the beginning - pre marriage it seems they really love each other but not enough to surmount this issue or certainly not without outside help. What though would the answer be? If Fallon had not been able to have children would that have split them up? Harrison wants a family very much but would be wise only to do so with real love for a partner otherwise that marriage could be unhappy for that reason.
ReplyDeleteAn unusual, for The Archers, two-hander episode. Brilliantly written and perfectly acted.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to everyone involved.
Absolutely, it sounded so real. Fallon showed a whole range of emotions, from the mundane to affectionate, accusing and irrational. Harrison steady, honest and confused.
DeleteIt was brilliant but then look at the writer - Katie Hims, who's always seems to be given a nitty-gritty SL to script.
DeleteShe also did a veey realistic job with the Anna/Carol episode in the hospital, which was true to life.
The Katie Hims radio serial I just loved was 24, Kildare Road, sadly no longer on Sounds.
Anyone remember another Archers two-hander episode, which as AP rightly says, are few + far between.
DeleteTo add. Why I thought the hospital episode so realistic was Carol saying -Have you come to take me home.
DeleteThis resonated to me as to when the family was called to the hospital at 1.30am. All family got there, even little Sis who drove 5hours from Norfolk.
Mum rallied very briefly, looked at Dad, her husband for 63yrs and asked exactly the same question. She passed just an hour later.
I found this simple question in TA so memory provoking and realistic
Another memorable two-hander was between Emma and George, when he confessed to her.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I just couldn't recall one.
DeleteAnd I seem to remember one, or possibly more, two-handers featuring Kathy after she was raped all those years ago. I think one may have been with Kenton, or perhaps Pat. Very dark and very affecting. Can't quite remember who else was around at the time. Have to look up one of my Archers books
DeleteArcherphile, I have a vague memory that it was a monologue from Kathy to her therapist.
DeleteI may be wrong about the details but I agree that it was very affecting.
I'm no great fan of this Harrison + Lily thing. But if Harrison is serious about wanting it to be something permanent, hadn't he better find out PDQ whether or not she wants children? If she doesn't, and they push forward anyway, it will all end in heartache. Again.
ReplyDeleteVery very good point but surely your love of the person comes first then children if you can have them a marriage just to be able to have children was of the old days when you could not have a baby and keep it unless you were married - my ex mother in law did this just to be able to have a family and it was an awful marriage as all she wanted was children and then for them ideally not to marry. Eldest daughter did though and of course my ex which is why we were a disaster the strings were never cut but the youngest daughter never did get away.
DeleteAll very true, and I'm sorry for your family's bad experiences.
DeleteBut the main reason Harrison's marriage broke up is that he desperately wanted children, and Fallon emphatically did not. If Lily is equally determined to remain child-free, then Harrison will be just as torn as he was with Fallon.
But already it seems that he is more committed to a relationship than Lily is. So perhaps things will fizzle out.
Oh dear oh dear !
ReplyDeleteI have rarely watched East Enders in all its decades, but my understanding of its content is similar to that we were given in this evenings episode of TA which I did not appreciate.
Please could we have The Archers back ASAP.
Barbara Windsor lives “get outta my pub” ! The whole situation does not sit well with me I really don’t think Harrison would have reacted so quickly in this manner…..
ReplyDeleteRemember, Sid threw Cathy out and when she came back they had a baby.
ReplyDeleteSid asked Jolene if she wanted children, but no.
Is there a baby somewhere along the line that Harrison runs off with, as he wants to leave?
I’m finding the Harrison + Lily affair totally unconvincing and destined to end hopefully sooner rather than later, especially as the actor playing Harrison (who is the son of the playwright Jim Cartwright) is reported to be moving on. It’s partly because I have always found the character of Harrison unconvincing
ReplyDelete.
I agree about this storyline ending soon maryellen.
DeleteIt was all clumsily contrived to make Harrison the culprit who supposedly left Fallon for a younger woman. Now Fallon, Jolene and Lily hold it against him.
DeleteHe's going to stay in Borchester for now and then disappear altogether.
Carol, Carol, Carol 😡 I’m a softie as a rule but you truly are trying my patience. I understand what you mean about the watch but not to be able to give a thought to dear Leonard’s and Tony’s well intentioned kindness beggars belief. What an unhappy rest of your life you are going to experience
ReplyDeleteby not giving a thought about anyone but yourself.
A lesson for you and Tony, Leonard - first ask what the recipient of your good deed wants, not surprise them with what you think they would want. You were irretrievably wrong about Carol’s wishes and deserved her ticking off (sorry, folks!)
ReplyDeleteIt seems you and me are the only ones to understand Carol - the watch stopped together with Richard's heart, or so we'd like to imagine.
DeletePity though that Tony didn't accept Joy's joyful offer, so Leonard got disappointed twice.
Moving on from that, I said above Fallon might go back to the Bull and if Joy does take care of jewellery repairs, they will need extra help. Also, Fallon won't get properly paid until next year and will find it difficult at LL until the gossip subsides. They've got someone new though at the Bull.
Sorry Maryellen and Basia, I cannot forgive Carols down right rudeness and ingratitude. There is no need to be like that. She could have told Leonard about the importance of the watch without making him feel guilty. How her daughter puts up with her I do not know.
DeleteBut this story has had one good side effect and that is to warn me to ke kind and keep some negative feelings to myself when any of my family offer unwanted help!
Carol so reminds me of a Gt. Aunt of mine who was a feisty character, an ex-headmistrss who lived until she was 98yrs.
DeleteShe was a wonderful person but it was always - When I say jump, you jump!
Towards her end of life she also became very demanding but that was just her way of life and knew no difference.
At least she was sensible enough to sell her home in the south and take up residence in a loving residential home, near to both my Mum + myself and other family members.
She felt she wanted to be close to the family members she knew best, as she had never married so had no children.
Sorry Archerphile, but I don’t think Carol’s outspokenness exonerates Leonard and Tony. They should not have tinkered with her property without her permission, however well-meaning they were.
DeleteRichard's watch is a relic.
DeleteBesides, Carol mentioned nappies, which we wear at the start and some towards the end.
In the same way we (not all) revert to our real nature without constraints and say what we really feel, not withholding or apologising for our comments.
My comment now is a bit weird.
ReplyDeleteHas anyone else noticed that Jill is no longer mentioned.
Last night Leonard was buying chocolates to take to Carol, saying he was going to visit, which might easily have been Jill + are going to visit, or Jill isn't coming with me as she isn't feeling well. Equally at the hospital he could have said similar to Carol along with saying how she wanted to come.
I just found this strange as Carol + Jill were such good friends.
Perhaps I'm overthrowing again..🙀
overthinking obviously...I didn't spot the autocorrect! 🤣
DeleteI was wondering about Jill the other day Miriam and wondering how they were going to handle her departure from TA.
DeleteMy ideas for what there worth, is something in October, with both Pip + Stella's nuptials plus Jill's birthday (96th?) happening. Then again there's November with what would have been her + Phil's 69th wedding anniversary.
DeleteI just feel, rightly or wrongly, that her demise might be linked to these months.
and to add, before the Ambridge festive season begins.
DeleteMiriam - you are frequently prescient in your predictions and I would suggest that either of the two occasions you mention above might well be used to ‘ handle Jill’s departure’ to quote CC.
DeleteVery thoughtful of you.
And yes, it is noticeable that Jill is being left out of conversations that might well have included mention of her previously.
ARCHERPHILE -
I do agree with you about Carol Tregorran - she has become insufferable and it reminds each of us of the need to buckle our tongue on occasions.
I am really disliking the character that is being drawn of a distinctive member of the village in times past that a number of us may have been familiar with.
I also agree with BASIA in that I have always thought that our traits when young, good or bad, become highlighted as we age, which is even more reason for some of us listeners to object to the way in which the current writers are mistreating Carol Tregorran.
I note that Janice agrees with me on this point.
Another thought about Jill's demise, is Stir Up Sunday always a special day for Jill + her family, probably the end of November.
DeleteI just feel that there has to be an event of some sort to mark the sad occasion, as they did with Peggy +VE Day.
Even Bert Fry had his moment in one of his favourite places - The Bull.
Freda Fry had the flood Sid Perks in New Zealand, Phil listening to his favourite music ...
I remember these departures as to where they were + why, which is why I hope that there'll be similar with Jill, which we know has to happen sadly.
I wonder if the SW will make Jill’s end a peaceful one - passing in bed in her sleep.
DeleteAlthough that would be very similar to how Phil passed albeit in his armchair listening to his favourite classical music, and found by Jill on her return from an outing with whom I cannot remember and the episode ending in complete silence if I recall correctly…..
She was with Peggy + Christine, but not sure where they'd been.
DeleteJust looked it up.
DeleteThey'd been to the hat museum, had great fun trying on hats followed by lunch. They went back to Glebe for a cup of tea and found Phil.
Thanks for that Miriam 👏🏻
DeleteI get the feeling that something is going to go wrong with Alan and/or Carol's bank account.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely feel that something is going to happen there
DeleteOh I hope not, now that she's on the verge of going to the Laurels her money will be wiped out?
DeleteWhy not ring Anna instead of flowers, oh well.
I wonder if she has made a donation towards the bell.
DeleteWell done Harrison, it's your home still, Fallon was reluctant to leave too.
ReplyDeleteKenton forgot about his estranged wife in New Zealand and Kathy.
Yes he did forget, so well done Lily !
DeleteKenton seems also to have forgotten about his own daughter Meriel who must be a similar age to Lily, if not a few years older.
DeletePerhaps that's it - he's treating Lily as if she was Meriel..🤔🫣
DeleteI wonder how Amber explained that her waters hadn't broken and she wasn't in labour on her social media platform.
ReplyDeleteShe thought it was funny and no doubt this will be shown in her socials. It might actually enhance her profile and she'll make it to her advantage.
DeleteI think your likely to be spot on with that Miriam.
DeleteWell done LIZ JOHN writer of tonights episode.
ReplyDeleteA gentle death for Carol and the revelation from her that all her recent behaviour has been to do with her fear.
‘ why didn’t you wait for me mum ?’
Because Carol didn’t want to say goodbye.
She has hung on to the obsession with Richard because she didn’t have the opportunity to say goodbye, and now she has chosen to not say goodbye to Anna.
I’ve never been unable to accept the end of a life and I sincerely hope that when my time comes I can say a proper goodbye to my daughters, although I’m aware that my eldest is most likely to avoid that moment.
I agree MrsP and thank you for explaining why it happened this way.
DeleteYour namesake MrsP died alone, but there were two cups and it turned out that Sharon was the last one to see her.
Phil of course and then Siobhan when Brian and Elizabeth saw the priest when they came back.
There was Nigel shouting: it's Mummy, she's dead!
It remains to see what they do about Jill.
I prefer to limit myself to fictional.
My goodness BASIA….. what a phenomenal memory you have. I am impressed !
DeleteI wouldn’t have been able to remember most of those endings.
I do remember Phil, and of course Nigel’s very dramatic demise, but as for the others ……
Are you willing to explain your final sentence ?
I don’t understand.
Now that I’ve re read your post I think I vaguely remember the ‘ two cups ‘ incident with Mrs P.
DeleteWas Sharon, the Sharon that was in a relationship with John, ( and the caravan ), who it transpired decades later, had Johns son, who then came to Ambridge to farm with Pat and Tony ?
( And has now gone travelling the globe never to be seen again unfortunately since he was a popular character even though I can’t remember his name )
But I can remember his voice which was very distinctive !
Yes, Sharon who was with John and then left him, but later they had an affair and when Hayley found out she left him in turn and then he died in a tractor accident, also alone, which unlike the others was totally unexpected.
DeleteAs Mistral says, Johnny was the result.
What I meant was fictional rather than personal which doesn't belong here anyway.
I was really upset for Anna to not get there in time.
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard not to be there when someone you love dies.
At least though Carol was not alone, as others can be.
Ms. P, he was called Johnny, last heard of on a luxury yacht somewhere. He is never mentioned any more.
ReplyDeleteMuch to my annoyance, Johnny was absolutely devoted to farming and his exit did not make any sense at all 😡 No doubt he will pop up again one day as Kenton did…..
DeleteUmm Carol before Jill who will be the third I wonder. Hopefully all the funerals will be over before Christmas!
ReplyDeleteOliver, silent for a few weeks, but was feeling his age when last heard ?
DeleteNice that she sent Anna some flowers. That will be a good memory for Anna to have of her mother.
ReplyDeleteThe next shock might well be the outcome of the cheque Carol made out a day or so ago.
ReplyDeleteYes MrsP, Alan could be in trouble over that.
DeleteYes, and if Carol has given money to Alan ( keeping in mind he mentioned they were 5/6000 short of the funding needed for the bell, and the fact he reminded her of Richard) that will taint Anna's memory of being given flowers. She will think her mother only did that in order to get his bank details. It was noticeable how Carol insisted on finishing the repayment after Alan's input of his bank details.
DeleteI thought it a beautifully written episode and needless to say I was in floods ( I am ridiculously lacrimose and blub at the drop of a hat) but I also thought it was a bit of a cop out in terms of of exploring the difficulties of supporting elderly relatives when you live some distance away and there are tensions within the relationship.
ReplyDeleteI thought that they covered the distance factor quite well over the last months. There was Anna ringing Helen as she couldn't get hold of her, so she + Tom went to check on her, Leonard stepping in when someone went in to look at putting rails etc in.
DeleteThe dreaded pendant alarm was sent to Brookfield, with Leonard yet again going + setting it up.
This did show how the distance + work caused a problem with such care + attention, as Anna relied on others to help.
What did Carol die of? Heart giving out? I’m sorry she has gone.
ReplyDeleteI am a Little puzzled how Richard manage to spend so much time with Carol, both before and after her hospitalisation. She seemed to be his sole parishioner needing attention for several weeks, assisted by Usha after the fall. Does he have no other parishioners needing his time or concern? I understand his genuine concern for her, but it almost became an obsession towards the end.
ReplyDeleteAlan - AP
DeleteOh lord! I'm getting terrible with names! Why did I pick Richard of all things. Might be something to do with my post on the other page ....names! Is it a first sign........?
DeleteRichard was Carol's beloved son who died and she talked about him incessantly, putting him above Anna, because he was no longer there. Hence the confusion Archerphile.
DeleteI absolutely abhor this idolising of those departed. I've not changed my opinion of anyone, not for the better anyway, sometimes for the worse.
AP Rubbish!
DeleteWere you listening in bed + tired?. I do the same, snuggle down listening to something but sort of semi-doze, so have to listen again to clarify things!
No problem re Alan’s workload, Archerphile. He evidently reprioritised and rearranged his
ReplyDeletehis commitments to allow him to give Carol the attention she merited at her end. Carol She was not just a parishioner but a close neighbour verging on friend. Suggesting he was negligent regarding his other duties is unfair!
Whose leave to remain is it?
ReplyDeleteAs for Stella and Natasha, I'm really not interested.
As the continuity announced - A master class in persuasion from that entitled bloody woman Natasha.
DeleteOhh, I do dislike her !
Persuasion? It sounded like manipulation to me.
DeleteYes, they're family, so is half of Ambridge!
If the invitation was just addressed to tom and Natasha, at the very least they should have asked for clarification as to whether the twins were invited or not, rather than just assuming.
My brother-in-law and his wife chose to have a child-free wedding. Yes, it was disappointing not to be able to take the Small People in a Shoe, but we respected the couple's choice and left our offspring with their grandparents for the day. Weddings can be boring for small children. Some couples choose to make provision for them, especially if several of their families and friends have youngsters. Others prefer to keep it adults only. It is bad manners to go against their wishes.
Besides, why did the 4 year olds need 'pretty expense outfits' to go to the wedding?
Natasha’s point about Rosie was a fair one. There’s a lot about Natasha that I like and admire.
DeleteOWIAS.
DeleteMy reaction was the same - manipulation, which she always does so well, just like with Tom + their mortgage, to get what she wanted.
I daren't say any more...🫣
Jill was mentioned and how she reacted to Carol's death, so they're preparing for her next.
ReplyDeleteIt sounded like it was Ania at the shop, who had to sort out her leave to remain. An insert about the immigration rules tightening, no matter how long one's been in the country.
ReplyDeleteSorry, confused, who is Ania?
ReplyDeleteA silent character, who used to work at Bridge Farm shop in Borchester and presumably is now still at the Farm Shop. Ruth garbled her name, but it couldn't be anyone else. She's hardly ever mentioned, but now to highlight the immigration crisis. I think she may be from Ukraine/Poland?
DeleteThank you:)
DeleteI found Natasha pretty unbearable last night (sorry ME). Using all her persuasive skills to take her girls to a wedding they were not invited to sounded very much like wheedling to me. Why should her two go when no other children apart from Rosie (who is obviously an exception) are invited. As for complaining that she had spent on expensive outfits for them , well that is up to her. I thought she and Tom are short of money so why spend on fancy clothes? Does Tom know I wonder?
ReplyDeleteAs have said elsewhere, the terrible twins are only 4yrs and can't imagine them sitting still + behaving for any length of time. Natasha certainly won't want to keep them occupied throughout the event, she'll be too busy promoting her Botanicals range even though she's now buying it in and sticking her own labels on it!
DeleteYes I am being cynical.
To add I was surprised to find out that Rosie is now 8yrs. I still think of her as much younger.
DeleteYes, I picked up on the botanicals, like so many products nowadays, there's the country of origin and another where it is packaged.
DeleteShe was saying it's all being sourced from a small, organic and very reputable local producer- but at what cost?
DeleteThen there's the packaging, the marketing, the sales launch which will all add up, plus will it sell as something different + unique.
Her business plan must be quire a read 🤣
I thought Rosie was younger too. I doubt she'd be highly excited about playing with the twins at the wedding - it sounds more like Natasha would expect her to keep them entertained so she doesn't have to. I'm sure Rosie would rather have her friend Maddie there for the day rather than her little (third) cousins who won't even be allowed to play in case they spoil their expensive outfits.
Delete(I suspect, to be honest, that Stella would be quite happy for Rosie not to be there either. Perhaps she'll suggest to Pip that Rosie will be bored and would be far happier playing at Maddie's house for the day - with the added bonus that then the Terrible Twins would not be needed to keep her entertained.)
I’m extremely comfortable with manipulation, persuasion and wheedling to describe Natasha who in my book is utterly detestable.
ReplyDeleteDetestable Maryellen, because the points about her that you admire and like are despatched with her undoubted charm.
Two sides of a personality that are in conflict or competition with each other.
And it’s her friends and loved ones that she imposes these traits upon.
And what’s more, it is clear that she knows precisely which side of her character to display on any occasion, and her choice, each time is deliberate.
She is indeed psychologically, an extremely clever human being.
Natasha certainly knows how to talk to + bamboozle Justin, who thinks she's suvh a wonderful business woman.
DeleteNot sure if bamboozle is the correct term I'm looking for, but hope my meaning is clear.
Both Anna and Brad hyperactive today, until she comes down with a thud and he to a halt.
ReplyDeleteIf Brad had learned about the bus time changes earlier he could have learned to drive and passed his test by now 😂🤣 really Brad, all those lesson and a then a test date in less than about a year the way it is going these days - but then he does live in Ambridge 🧚♀️
DeleteRuth really doesn't know how to take a hint, does she?
ReplyDeleteThere again, Anna is clearly very shaken and possibly not thinking or acting rationally. Not to mention the fact that had Ruth not called round Anna would have still been asleep 'til lunchtime and would have missed the day in court anyway. A tough of gratitude might be in order ...
DeleteLet’s hope Anna has a safe drive albeit she drove off in a very precarious way barely awake and no proper food / drink inside her plus of course in a state of great grief. If not she would have been better and safer left to oversleep. Her drive of two hours plus dangerous in such an anxious state to herself and others on the road!
DeleteWhat Ruth didn't mention to Anna when she was recounting her mother's death, was that to make room for her ailing mother, Jill was "persuaded" to move out of Brookfield to live with Elizabeth. Jill was very hurt by this and it caused a lot of tension as David didn't like the idea of evicting his mother.
DeleteDuring their conversation, I thought Anna was beginning to sound very like Carol.
Perhaps Anna is only now understanding what made Carol as she was. 🤷♀️
DeleteMissed an episode Anna returned safely 🫢
ReplyDeleteI was surprised by Brad’s self-centred approach in organising his family to suit his purely personal plans. I hadn’t really noticed that trait in him before. What was it telling us?
ReplyDeleteI was astounded by his reciting the bus time-table to the exact minute but not sure if this is just his normal way of things.
Delete..due to his analytical + mathematical brain.
DeleteCan't help wondering if that is a slight autistic trait. Don't know much about it but I think a facility for memory and retention of minute detail can be one of the traits. Don't want to start a medical argument - perhaps there are others here who know much more than me.
DeleteI have always understood Brad to be on the autistic scale, albeit slightly ARCHERPHILE.
DeleteI have a feeling that we have discussed this at some point in the past.
I could be wrong of course.
We agreed that Brad is neurodivergent and his photographic memory must be one of its signs. Remember Dustin Hoffman in Rainman, if you saw it?
DeleteI'm not totally convinced he is actually neurodivergent. My reasoning is that when he's heard at work with Zainab, Mick, Lily and others, plus when he's with George and his times with Amber, there doesn't seem to be any other indication/s, well not that I've noticed.
DeleteTo me he is an expert in numerology and I think of him as a bit of a "boffin" with a narrow field of other interests.
.
We have never been told Brad is neurodivergent.Tracy has never noticed and sought a diagnosis anymore than she noticed Chelsea’s adenoids and did something about it. I think we are meant to work it out for ourselves, aided by whopping great clues like his total recall of the bus timetable.
DeleteThanks ME. You have confirmed what I’ve always felt.
DeleteAnd BASIA thanks too, I felt sure we had discussed it before although it’s never been mentioned amongst the family.
I like the boffin idea. I have a grandson like that, very into statistics (taking it at Uni) and could tell you incredible detail on all sorts of subjects. But no other signs at all. Perhaps he is another Brad.
ReplyDeleteA nephew of mine is the same but with computers. He has a highly paid and very successful job in IT + computer planning now.
DeleteHe's never married though due to his limited interests in other things and is far being from neurodivergent.
Maybe Jazzer should stop talking about irrelevant stuff when he's supposed to be teaching Brad how to drive.
ReplyDeleteYes, he was very casual and I was waiting for a crash, no damage to the car?
DeleteHelen was all very pleasant about Brad knocking her gate, but I suspect that she will source & have installed an expensive (bespoke order from Chris?) and then present Brad with a much larger bill than he can comfortably manage. Ill-feeling will ensue!
ReplyDeleteJazzer said that the mangled gate resembled a modern sculpture.
DeletePerhaps Chris could fashion something out of that?
I still don't understand why Tracy thinks that Helen should replace it herself.
Perhaps it was just her going on about the theme park + the costly fast track passes which she can afford, so a new gate wouldn't be much extra?
DeleteAlso remember Henry didn't pay for the vicarage broken window - different circumstances I know.
DeleteWell here he is baby “Joe” at least if Amber is in agreement, baby was obviously going to be born tonight - Friday to end the week on a high. In the end both Amber and George came up trumps,
ReplyDeleteGeorge after Brad giving him a firm talking to!
What a noisy birth scene! Perhaps a bit too realistic for me but I'm glad the baby is safe and well. And so pleased Brad was such a good support for George, he sounded like the really good friend that George needed at that time.
ReplyDeleteIf we have to listen into Kirsty giving birth I hope it's a bit quieter and less dramatic! 👶