BasiaSeptember 7, 2026 at 10:31 AM Archerphile - let us know how you're getting on if you can.
Now for something different: I normally wear roomy shirts with the sleeves rolled up below elbows. Today and not for the first time one of them caught the open door handle as I was entering a room - a shock to the system and slightly thrown off balance, well hilarious really, however many accidents happen at home. A neighbour pulled a tendon while coming down a step ladder and can now only walk on a flat surface. We live in a hilly area and I miss meeting him on my daily trip into town.
REPLY
MiriamSeptember 7, 2026 at 4:13 PM My worst household accident was done hoovering the stairs. I came down backwards, the hoover slipped on a step and both it and I went down. I ended up against the newel post breaking a rib, painful to breathe and as for a cough! Mind you I was also wearing slippers which wouldn't have helped. My vacuum now has a "lift away" part, which makes the stairs so easy to do, as it's just lightweight abd hand held.
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 7, 2026 at 12:19 PM Miriam - I think I will give your. Bea and sausage casserole a try. Sounds healthy and tasty.
Have I ever told ? ……… fifty years ago when living in Malmesbury the Red Arrows used to do their routine training in the air above Tetbury - they were based in Kemble then - every Tuesday afternoon. My garden faced north looking uphill towards Tetbury. I would sit and watch them for the time of the practice. Along with the training flights of Concord prior to it going into service. Precious memories since I had been fascinated by aircraft from being a small child in London during the war.
ARCHERPHILE - how are you coping with all the extra work involved in sorting out the damage left by the vehicle crashing into your wall ?
REPLY
MiriamSeptember 7, 2026 at 5:23 PM Mrs P. Interesting idea as to a cat harness, but how easy would it be to walk both on leads with both probably walking at different speeds - consider carefully. At least your cat knows his place and seems quite content to sit and wait for you to return, which sounds just lovely.
REPLY
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 7, 2026 at 7:17 PM Yes Miriam, will take on board your thoughts. Thank you
SozSeptember 7, 2026 at 8:34 PM I’m so sorry you had a bad experience with the anaesthetic injections Mrs P. I was lucky with that. The injection into your palm where there is no flesh must have been excruciating. As for shouting and swearing when in pain, reminds me of noisy labour wards - if it helps why not! When I had my second hip op, I was waiting in the room leading to the operating theatre and heard the surgeons talking about the previous op in which everything that could have gone wrong had done so. I shouted to them that they had better do the next one properly!!
That reminds me of the most painful injection I have ever had. When I was about 15 I had to have a veruca cut out of my foot and that injection was horrible. I wonder if that too was because there isn't much flesh on the bottom of the foot.
Having been away last week I've just got back up to speed with the blogs. I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your garden Archerfile. it must be very stressful for you. I hope that it gets resolved without too many problems. MrsP, I hope that your recovery from surgery goes smoothly. It's a shame that it was so painful for you and that your neighbour let you down.
Grandparent duties were fun MrsP. It rained on the day that we had the children all day so we ended up having a bake off, Mr CC and 12 yr old grandson vs me and 7yr old granddaughter. They each decided what they wanted to bake then we made a list of ingredients and went to the supermarket to get them, then to a cafe where they do really nice coffee so that we didn't get in the way of my daughter's cleaners who were coming for the first time since her old one retired. The kitchen was pristine when we got back, it didn't stay that way for long!
Re aftermath of the crash - we have at least picked up all the fence panels and some of the broken trees plants etc. Not doing too much because a proper clear up and rebuilding will be paid for by insurance. Assessor coming tomorrow But this evening we were visited by the actual owner of the van, the employer of the driver. He is keen not to involve insurance claims (loosing no claims allowance etc ) and has offered to meet all costs of repair/replacement himself. He is the owner of a large farm and storage centre at Chilbolton, about 20 miles away. The driver was sent home from hospital today with broken ribs, fractured shoulder and other injuries. He will lose his job because he won't be allowed to drive so will have no way of getting to work at the farm. We shall see what the assessor has to say & get quotes for repairs. The owner has also offered to pay for a tree surgeon to come and minister to our precious old apple tree with a huge gash in its side. We hope it can be saved.
I do hope the offer works out as a good policy should you choose that route AP. It is often a toss up between options like this and presumably he has done his sums. I’m sure you will attempt to get something in writing before going ahead, if you do. Whatever the outcome it’s surely been a massive headache for you both, and you have my sympathy.
My advice AP is to give all the van driver's company info. to your own assessor and let them sort it out. My feeling is that this person, who sounds genuine, might slow things down and only be prepared to do a minimal and cheap job and not to your expectations. No offence meant at all, but this person might see a senior couple and so try to cheat you with inferior repairs + costs. These days I'm just a bit suspicious of something like this.
I saw on yesterday's news that Monty Don will no longer be presenting Gardeners' World. It will be interesting to see what they do with the programme now.
Indeed, and it was time for a change. Nothing against Monty personally but the programme had got very repetitive and it will be refreshing a get to know a new garden. I felt I knew his one better than my own! I hope to see more of the other presenters at different gardens for a bit of variety
Agree also. I find I lose interest in such programmes when they start to become stale. It's difficult to suddenly change the format with a new presenter, but it has to be done, as long as it's not too radical to begin with. The regular and very loyal viewers need to see familiarity.
Anyone watching Sewing Bee? I'm really enjoying this series. To think the final is next week with Strictly to begin the Saturday after, along with a different style of Pottery Throw Down starting as well. Then there's Bake Off ready to go in 2 weeks time. I would love a fabulous drama series though, such as Dowton and The Other Bennet Sister as examples. I binge watched the Mayflower Murders not long ago, the one after the Magpie Murders, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe that there is a 3rd one scheduled soon, called the Marble Hall Murders in the same format.
To add. I'm watching Celebrity Masterchef, which has had a revamp with new presenters and being done slightly differently. IMO it's working well, it's the same yet different!
I have enjoyed Monty’s presenting for many years and I think he is making the right decision to go now. Although I still love his voice and could listen for hours, I recognise the fact that the programme needs a younger and physically fitter presenter. Thank you Monty for being my gardening guru on all those friday nights. You will be missed. Why has the BBC removed the music which used to introduce the programme?
I too am a Sewing Bee addict. I watch the recording while I'm doing the ironing because Mr A is not interested. I noticed the girl who lives on a narrow boat had a big scar on her neck this week, that I'd not seen before. I hope she is ok and wouldn't be surprised if she wins. I was sorry the disabled lady had to leave this week but I had no idea she was disabled. (Think I'm a week behind) Very much looking forward to the Celebrity Pottery Throwdown, don't care who the 'celebrities', are I just love watching the pottery. I think a new 'normal' series with Siobhan back is due soon after. I hear rumours that the Knitting competition is coming back too. I hope they tweak the format and get rid of the two over-strict judges who could be quite rude to the contestants. Also a few more 'sensible' projects would be welcome too.
Did anyone watch Our Welsh Chapel Dream? Throw Down's Keith Brymer Jones and his partner Marj threw their entire savings into the monumental restoration of a 160-year-old derelict chapel in Wales hoping to turn it into their forever home with a working pottery studio.
I was in Putney high street and walking past a television shop and saw through the window the horror. I abandoned my shopping trip and went home and stayed glued to the television for the rest of the day.
I’ve been in tears again today reading some of the memories of that day.
I was in the village in my brother in law's bungalow where my mum and dad in law were staying, and they had the television on. It seemed so unreal, just couldn't believe what I was seeing knowing there were all those people in the plane/s.
I was at work with no radio etc. The 2.00pm busy period didn't happen, it was strange and it was only when the delivery driver bringing our drug order in at 2.45pm told us, that we knew what was happening. This was followed by mums, after picking up the kids from school and coming in, that we heard the full details as many had seen it on TV after switching on to watch Neighbours. The full horror wasn't revealed to me until getting home and seeing on TV. I remember it well. I have a programme recorded which I haven't yet watched, which goes into the theory that there was a 5th plane involved for another target but it didn't happen.
I was at home cooking. I had clinic in the evening so needed to make an early meal for the family to have before I went out to work, I watched it unfolding in between food prepping.
I was in the car, coming back from Halfords having bought a bike. The news came on the radio but we kept the sound low so as not to worry the Small People. We realised it was something serious, but didn't hear the whole story until we had got home.
I was at home with a friend visiting. We couldn’t believe it. She left and I stayed glued to the telly for the rest of the day. We’ve visited the 9/11 museum and it is very poignant. With a remnant of a staircase in there and a fire engine. To me it just seems like yesterday when it happened.
It's so strange as you say, that such things still seem like yesterday. This is the same as the Lockerbie disaster for me as my bro-in-law was in the air at that same time. It took me a short while to remember he was flying into the UK not away. Not long after I drove to Scotland and past Lockerbie, where there was still marks on the road where the cars caught up in the disaster were burnt + destroyed.
I was at home, having a garden shed erected. When it came on the radio, I switched to the t.v. and kept running out to tell the workman what was happening. I remember thinking it couldn't be real, that it was a sort of bizarre Thunderbirds episode. My mother had died two months earlier and it was strange not being able to phone her.
I was devastated by the decision taken in Parliament this afternoon. I know this is a very personal subject but I feel very strongly that people should be allowed to have an assisted death in the circumstances outlined. It is my body that I inhabit and I should be able to decide what happens to it.
I have supported a law to allow supported death since my twenties. When it was talked out in the peers chamber I did not feel it would be successful on a second round. Time has passed and given the naysayers better and more focused reasons to create greater doubt around safeguarding.
Since - apparently- seventy five percent of the public want to bring assisted death into law, then the public must find a way to bring this to fruition, as it would seem that the lawmakers cannot.
I too was disappointed by the vote. I mean we are prosecuted if we keep animals in a poor way. It should be our decision. I was even more disappointed when I saw our MP hadn’t voted at all.
At least it passed here in France. We are all here by chance and have little control over our lives, at least we should be allowed to decide how to end it.
It looks like parliament, especially the house of lords are out of step with public opinion. I hope that the inequalities in palliative care are addressed as a result of this but I'm not holding my breath.
How understood it, is that it is not the actual assisted dying that was voted against, but there has to be further reforms needed to be added before the act can be passed. This is what my local MP said when explaining why they voted against, at the moment.
Yes Miriam, that’s the nub of it, the reason so many MPs refrained from voting or voted against. Although many peers prevaricated, with effect, it awoke others to the need for further reforms on this Bill as it was presented. That would not have been possible on the second round - as this was the case - and so many MPs did exempt themselves or voted against.
This was my thinking in believing that this time the vote would be against.
Time for Apples and Honey. Shanah Tova, happy and peaceful New Year 5787 to anyone celebrating Rosh Hashannah this week. I pray for cessation of anti-semitism in our country which has been increasing in the past few years. Let everyone live in peace, understanding and tolerance of all beliefs and customs.
Sorry, pressed publish too soon. I agree Archerfile. One of my university friends is Jewish and her local synagogue is the Kenton United one which was attacked. She has lived in the area for decades and her family are close by. She fears for their safety and especially that of her grandsons going to school. None of them have done anything to warrant that sort of hatred.
AP Please educate me. I've come across the mention of Apples + Honey in the last few days buy not why. I hadn't realised that this is part of your religion. What does it represent and why is it part of your celebration? I'm really interested to know.
Apples and honey represent the wish for a sweet and happy New Year. They are traditionally served on Rosh Hashanna. Also one could hear the blowing of the Shofa in Synagogue, a very moving experience. Apples and honey are a bit different from one item served at Passover which is bitter herbs! Most foods in the Jewish tradition have some reference to stories in the Bible, very important in those days which were often hungry ones. Rosh Hashanna is of course, closely followed by Yom Kippur which requires 25 hours of complete fasting, not even sipping water or cheating by cleaning one's teeth! This is the Day of Atonement when we think of all the sins we might have committed during the year and seek repentance. Most Jewish homes would have a meal, cooked the day before, ready on the table for the return of a very hungry family from synagogue.
Whilst I'm in a 😱 mood, the post! My tv/radio mag which I subscribe to, was delivered so late that the edition for 5-11 Sept. arrived on the 11th, the last day it was for.
I've had to for 2 weeks running now, go out + buy another copy at full price which grieved me, as my subscription is 50% less per issue. I'm still waiting for this current weeks issue to arrive! It's no wonder my GP and hospital appointments all come bith via e-mail and text message. How do those who are not able to do this manage,
The changes to second class post services have really messed our magazine subscriptions. The Radio Times does at least normally arrive before the start date, albeit only just, but we really want the The Week and Spectator on Friday or Saturday….. the Spectator app is included with the print subscription and is very good so I use that a lot but The Week charges separately for online, and both of us like the print version, one of modern life’s niggles
I believe 2nd class post is only delivered 3x a week now and never on a Saturday. I am one of those who still prefers to send cards for birthdays, anniversaries etc. by post, but it takes a lot of planning these days!
I’ve had my stitches removed today. My hand itself is not painful though still stiff and lacking in strength. I think there is a change in the tingling, a very slight lessening, though certainly not significant. My other hand with trigger finger which was given a steroid injection into the base of the finger, top of the palm, is still very painful, but hasn’t triggered for two days now. I’m keeping bandages on as I’m a very instinctive and spontaneous person, so with bandage in place I’m constantly reminded to be careful.
Nothing specific Miriam, but I know the exercises I need to do as I’ve had trouble with my hands for several decades. This event is simply the latest manifestation. I am wriggling my fingers very often as it is. Arthritis is a bugger, wherever it is on the body.
Thank you Archerphile for the wonderful explanation. I love how Apples + Honey mean a sweet + happy New Year and I so appreciated learning about other traditions in your faith. Judaism is one religion I have very little knowledge about. I'm really interested hearing all about it and it's meanings. Thanks again as I certainly am learning a lot.
We had an interesting morning today. Whenever we visit Lyme we are impressed by the dry stone walls there. This morning we went to a talk and demonstration by the Dry Stone Walling Association which only increased my admiration for the hard work and craftsmanship that goes into the building of them. Lyme has been a deer park for centuries which is why some of the walls are pretty high as are the stiles that we have to climb over on our walks! The event was supposed to last one and half hours and the tour just over a mile long, what it didn't say was that it ended about a mile away from the car park. In the end it took over two hours and was two and half miles long, thankfully the heavy showers that were forecast missed us. Lunch in the cafe afterwards was very welcome.
Sounds very interesting CC despite the long walk back. I once did a short course on dry stone walling, have built a few ( very low garden walls ) and am slowing building again in my present garden. Do you have them in yours ?
I went to the Range yesterday for some wool. Was very pleased to see 20% off all wool. Bought 3 lots of 3 balls. I’ve taught myself, via YouTube, to crochet a bit this summer. I’ve got a lovely one row pattern off to a fine art now that I can do whilst watching telly. I only do baby blankets. My cousin knits them with the WI to go to a NICU at a local hospital. When the babies leave they take their special blanket with them so they always need more. I’m going to donate most of mine. I’ll admit I have 3 put away incase any grandchildren appear in the horizon. I’m now lost if I don’t have any wool to keep my fingers twiddling on a night.
That sounds lovely, PtbY. I'm a lifelong knitter but I taught myself to crochet during lockdown to make the hearts for the hospitals. I still make them, they go to our local hospice - they're a lot quicker than blankets, even baby ones! I also knit hats, mittens, and glove puppets for the Christmas shoeboxes. The Small People in a Shoe singularly failed to learn to knit, but two have taken to crochet. I was slightly concerned about your last sentence - I thought you said you'd run out of wool! Then I spotted the 'if'. I'm sure you know that gorgeous wool has to be bought on sight - you're bound to find a use for it one day! (I have to confess that one SPiaS has an even more serious wool habit than I do ....)
Mrs P it sounds promising that there is a little change in feeling however slight. That improvement should increase probably very slowly over the coming year.
I’ve been down by the sea for the last 2 weeks and have been swimming . I’m fine if it’s a flat sandy beach, rocky and uneven I find difficult to negotiate. The water seems colder than I expected after all that sun. I can remember swimming in winter when I was younger and fitter.
ThanksSoz With your kind imput I’ve been able to come to terms with a slow recovery, but also am aware of permanent nerve damage.
Well done PtbY for teaching yourself crochet. I’ve never been able to get beyond a single chain, but I’m a good knitter though I rarely knit. I have two massive sweaters that I knitted forty years ago but never finished sewing up, still waiting attention.
I do admire all those knitters when one sees the small garments in the hospital shops. Here in this town we have knitted decorations - hats - on top of post boxes !
Mrs P. Glad to hear you are improving a bit. Things take so much longer to heal as we age. Sooo annoying. I’m having a nightmare with wordle lately. I’ve started feeling lucky if I get it in 5.
Sadly where I am, the only traditional standing post box was removed when the Post Office closed. I still wonder if it closed due to the scandal, as it was just a post office in basically the front room of a house. Whoever owned it, sold up and moved away and the property reverted to a home. A new post box was installed, one of those small ones on a stand, across the road on the village green and a PO counter was set up in the local garden nursery just a short way away. They don't do all the PO services but we're lucky to have this.
I've just read that the wonderful Stephanie Coles has passed away, she apparently had Alzheimers. I loved her in Waiting for God and of course Open all Hours, not forgetting her part in Ed Reardons week.
Mentioning the radio, I've really enjoyed listening to he serialisation of RF Delderfield's -To Serve Them All My Days. I know the story well as I've read the book and there was a great TV adaptation at one time. If anyone is interested, it's only available on Sounds for about 2 weeks now.
My thoughts on hearing the news of Stephanie Cole’s demise was, how much she had been able to work in her final few years. A very competent actress able to inhabit any character with integrity. Always worth watching and certainly a favourite of mine.
I never watched Tenko way back, but was delighted to find it on Iplayer last year and certainly enjoyed the experience of watching it, albeit a disturbing subject. And of course along with others have enjoyed Cabin Pressure, Ed Reardon and Doc Martin too. She really was a hard working actor and must have had an excellent agent.
We've had knitted garments hugging trees here. Also, there's an old red phone box outside the train station which serves as book exchange. In central Strasbourg there's a red pillar box still in service, it was gifted by Leicester when they twinned in 1960.
Well, I have been looking at the Strictly contestants in the new Radio Times. I can honestly say I am only familiar with one of them, Sarah Storey, the Paralympian Cyclist. All of the others are completely unknown to me. I don't know how much interest I shall have in this years series
Ditto AP maybe better to just think of them all as members of the public and get to know them along the way. There will of course be all the usual shouting and clapping which spoils it for those of us watching at home! So little else to watch though with bright colours music and joy on tv these days (mostly Police programmes, murder investigations, gardening, quizzes and cooking!!!)
I love my dog, but the part of her that gives me the greatest delight is her floppy ears with long feathered ends tipped in black against her golden head. Yesterday on our walk she was doing a lot of nuzzling in rough grass and when we got home I could not get her collar off. It was tangled up with her fur and when I investigated I found the culprit to be quite a large burr. I had to take the scissors to the problem and cut away the collar and once that was off then cut further fur to get the burr out. Lady now has one ear with a short fringe at the end having lost the best part of two inches of her beautiful feathers. She looks very odd, and I am very upset !
It will grow back quickly, I'm sure. I had a pressie this morning, a lovely small intact but dead shrew, carefully postioned by my slippers, which are placed in such a way for me to swing out of bed + put on. Luckily I saw my pressie in time! 🐈⬛
Miriam - Are you like me noticing how quickly we are seeing the light fall each evening ? I don’t know what it’s been like in Cheshire today, but it’s been a very grey day here in West Somerset, and now at only ten to eight it’s almost completely dark. The nights do seem to be drawing in more quickly this year, even though it’s barely feeling like autumn.
I had my curtains closed + lights on at 7.30pm tonight, but it was a grey + dismal day with cloud + rain and it's cold. When I got up this morning at about 7.00am it was only 14C outside.
As everyone knows by now I am as ever coming into my own type of weather and favourite season but appreciate it even more so this year after that absolutely dreadful summer heat and worse still apparently destined to be even hotter next year - oh I do hope not 🙏🏼
Me too CC. Not sure I could live through another summer like that! Thats the blessing of British weather, the variety and changes. And I much prefer cold weather to hot. I have promised not to grumble next time we are cut off by snow! 😂
Now the temperatures are cooling down, what I'm hating is closing windows, as Iove keeping small ones open front + back to get fresh air throughout. I hate a stuffy home.
Just heard I am getting a budgie! Daughter found one in the hedge around the Scout Hut being besieged by a gang of magpies. She managed to rescue it, take it home and found a cage from a neighbour. She's been looking after it for a few weeks, tried every method of locating its owner with no luck. Even the ring on its leg didn't produce any ownership results. So he's looking for a permanent new home & I offered. Love all birds and he can sit on the windowsill watching all the ones in the garden. He has no name yet so looking for suggestions....anyone? Not Joey please!
Is he ( it ) green or blue ARCHERPHILE ? When we bought a budgie for our dad we thought it ought to be called Elgar, father’s favourite composer. How daft ! In the event he became Dandy….. so there is my suggestion.
Don't know how to sex a budgie, I'll have to wait & see if anything happens. I really like the idea of a favourite composers name. Shoshtakovitch is a bit long so it may have to be Mahler .......actually thats not too bad. Or Chopin.🤔
Well I’m watching strictly. I only know Graham the dog trainer. It’s 8.10pm and so far it’s rubbish. Can’t stand any of the new hosts. That JoJo bloke is soooo affected. Josh widdecomb is just not right for this show.
Re budgie - I have to see what colour the cere above the beak is - blue for a male or creamy/white for a female. I have only seen a photo so far (he/she arrives this afternoon). Its colour is pale yellow head and back with a blue front. Decided on Mahler or Nelson for name but might have to think of a female one instead! Photo tomorrow I expect 😄
We taught him his name and address, as we were aware of his possible escape since he had free reign to fly in our third floor flat. We were vigilant regarding windows and doors, but inevitably he did get out.
When he did take a holiday he was gone three days. My mother was frantic with worry ! On the fourth day a knock at the door was opened to find a policeman there ( mid 1950s ) . “ have you found my Dandy ? “ exploded my mother - “yes madam “ was the reply. My mother was mimicked for this expression for many many years to come. But Dandy had been able to give his name and address when rescued from a tree about a mile and a half from home. I vividly remember that walk to collect him that evening and he chattered with excitement all the way home.
Here he is! Definitely a he. Not bothering with fancy names - he'll just be Pip after Great Expectations, one of my favourite Dickens books - and better than Pumplechook!
I like that - my favourite budgie was Pip. He looked more like a canary being all yellow. He was so tame and loved to be stroked. Before Pip we had numerous Joeys - why was that THE name for budgies in fifties/sixties?
It became a popular name for budgies BECAUSE THERE WAS A BUDGIE FEATURED IN THE ARCHERS in the fifties called JOEY. And of course The Archers was at its zenith in the fifties.
How about that, and so Fletch was not the first budgie to be in TA.
That’s interesting . It would explain my family’s preference for Joey as The Archers was a programme we all listened to. Does anyone remember The Luscombes?
I don't remember them but looked them up, and thought it inspiring that the Aileen Mills who was in the programme wrote her first book of poetry at the age of 93. There is hope for us all!
I had a lovely day yesterday. A scrap Messiah from 10 to 3, followed by a short concert. Although I’m still a soprano I do now struggle to get an E and really cannot any longer reach F, but still enjoyed a good sing nevertheless. Took Lady with me, with permission from the vicar, and she was as good as gold lying at my feet. A fellow singer said that at one point when we were rehearsing the Hallelujah chorus Lady raised her head and looked at her as much as to say….not again !
Thank you all from Pip, for the welcome. It hadn't occurred to me that his is yellow & blue like my usual logo. Now I feel able to join in pet chat, eleven though he's not a dog, or cat like many of you have 😄
Just back from a jaunt with Big Sis to one of the big M+S stores. Cheshire Cheese will know the one at the Coliseum E.Port. What a dissapointment. It's fine if you like brown, green and dull colours, along with very wide leg trousers/jeans, jackets which are cropped just at about waist level, with very few skirts or blouses. Every range had exactly the same styles. I only wanted undies, so came out with 6 bras (as only place I find these to fit my small boobs) + 2 packs of knickers, so at least if I get knocked down + end up in A+E, my undergarments won't embarras me.
I have heard of that M&S Miriam but never been there. We go to either the one at Handforth Dean or the Trafford Centre. It used to be my go to store for all the basics many years ago, I never seem to find much for me these days.
When I go to Taunton I usually go into M&S walking through the store to the food department at the back, but passing through all the new designs at the front. ( I buy myself lovely pastries and chocolates and something to thank friends for looking after Lady for the day ) Like you Miriam, when I last went I was bemused, and not at all admiring, of most of the garments displayed. All very strange - was my general thought.
Hello Miriam I have an early visitor tomorrow (Tuesday) so in case I get distracted I am sending you “Birthday wishes” tonight. Have a lovely day whatever you do and be sure to spoil yourself or be spoiled if with family / friends 🎂🎉💐🍷🎁🎈
Aah Thank-you Lady R. It's going to be a normal day with nothing happening, but I do know how to treat + spoil myself! There's a bottle of prosecco plus some fancy chocs. ready + waiting, along with some salmon in the fridge, but not sure how I'll cook it yet.
Happy Birthday Miriam Have a lovely day, and if it’s warm and sunny, as predicted, perhaps you will choose to eat your chocolates with a glass of wine in your beloved garden.
I should be able to remember your birthday without Lady Rs prompt since it is the day after my daughters. She was 60 today ( yesterday now )
Good grief Miriam…….. From your posts and your descriptions of yourself and your lifestyle, your the very last person I would describe as ‘ all fur coat and no knickers ‘ In my experience, that is a most derogatory expression to use about a woman.
Thanks Everyone for the very kind + thoughtful Birthday wishes.😍 I know it is the Autumn Equinox but autumn really was here this morning. I woke up to mist which swirled around for hours. It was fog not far away, so much so that one of the Beluga's coming in from Tolouse couldn't land at Aerospace, so ended up at Prestwick, Scotland. It was certainly seasonal 🍁
I should have arranged with Corrin to have a Beluga trailing a Happy Birthday banner for you Miriam - or written on the side perhaps! Hope you had a lovely day in spite of the weather
Got my old picture back - Ukraine still need support - but it's taken hours to get the blog to work properly & to had to download all sorts of things to allow it to be used again. Google has got very complicated. 😵💫
Well, my brain certainly needed a workout and all the changes Google have made to their apps tested me almost to tears of frustration! As for Pip, hés doing very well and getting used to his new, much smaller, home. I discovered he loves a piece of lettuce and gets very excited if I play budgie sounds from YouTube. He chirps back loudly and jumps up and down in excitement!
Be careful about teaching birds to speak, as who knows what they'll pick up. A male ex-colleague of mine had a budgie who everytime anyone entered a room, it chirped out "Darling", followed by a sort of kissing noise. It was hysterical.
No sign of any ´words' just lots of chirping. I haven't the patience to try to teach him to 'speak' and I prefer natural birdsong anyway. I shall move his cage to a different window tomorrow from where he will see many garden birds on the bird table and in the adjacent tree. Perhaps he'll pick up the blackbird's song!
Booked my 'flu vaccine today! I don't go to my surgery as they do mass clinics on Saturdays, 3 jabbers doing appointments every 10 mins. This is a city centre practice where parking is limited. It's fine on a weekday as the road outside is only 30mins parking so there are always spaces but not on flu jab Saturdays. I've booked at a small Boots store on a local retail site which is very close to a Dunelm store, The Range plus many more, so a shopping trip will happen at the same time..
I've booked mine at the surgery but the first available appointment was not until November 10th. The receptionist said if I could get it earlier anywhere else I could cancel the appointment with them, which is what I did last time, mainly by chance as I went into the chemist after being at the surgery and there was someone there doing them that day.
Went up to see the Bayeaux Tapestry yesterday ( or Canterbury Embroidery as MrNuts prefers to call it) queue management still needs tweaking, we weren’t face to face with the tapestry until an hour and a half after our ticket time. But yes it was worth it and the crowd was good natured.
We saw the Tapestry in 1991 when we were on holiday in Normandy, not much of a queue and plenty of time to view it. I still have some photos which we took.
I went to see the copy of the Bayeux Tapestry at Reading Museum yesterday. It was very interesting but I found it difficult to distinguish the characters but the needlework was fantastic. Two of the embroiders were from Macclesfield and the rest from Staffordshire. Having just finished watching Game of Thrones which is really like medieval story but with dragons, I enjoyed the visit. It always makes me realise that I was never taught anything about the Anglo Saxon or medieval history - only the Romans, Tudor and French Revolution
It’s been a lovely day here which we spent doing pond maintenance. It hasn’t been done properly for a couple of years and the roots of the plants were a tangled mess with 4 baskets buried inside it. MrCC had to use a saw to separate them before we could get them out of the pond to split and replant. I also pulled out loads of the oxygenator plant along with a lot of dragonfly larvae and baby newts. It’s no wonder that we rarely see frogs these days, the poor tadpoles must get gobbled up as soon as they emerge. I need to get a net over it now, before the leaves start to fall.
So then, any comments on strictly? Although I don’t know the so-called celebs most of them looked good. That footballer was the worst. Ruddy JoJo and his pink outfit. 🤮 Once again that Josh widdicomb was a waste of space. The music was not suitable for a tango either. Right…..had my moan. Same time next week!!!
I thought there were several good dancers in there and some of the costumes were amazing. Not sure about the presenters though or the format for presenting, time will tell.
I am a big Strictly fan, which I think most know. For a week 1 show it was a very enjoyable watch with all trying their best, as did the new presenters. It's still early days and I personally loved JoJo's outfit, as it is his true style and he wears it well.
BasiaSeptember 7, 2026 at 10:31 AM
ReplyDeleteArcherphile - let us know how you're getting on if you can.
Now for something different: I normally wear roomy shirts with the sleeves rolled up below elbows.
Today and not for the first time one of them caught the open door handle as I was entering a room - a shock to the system and slightly thrown off balance, well hilarious really, however many accidents happen at home. A neighbour pulled a tendon while coming down a step ladder and can now only walk on a flat surface. We live in a hilly area and I miss meeting him on my daily trip into town.
REPLY
MiriamSeptember 7, 2026 at 4:13 PM
My worst household accident was done hoovering the stairs. I came down backwards, the hoover slipped on a step and both it and I went down. I ended up against the newel post breaking a rib, painful to breathe and as for a cough! Mind you I was also wearing slippers which wouldn't have helped.
My vacuum now has a "lift away" part, which makes the stairs so easy to do, as it's just lightweight abd hand held.
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 7, 2026 at 12:19 PM
ReplyDeleteMiriam - I think I will give your. Bea and sausage casserole a try.
Sounds healthy and tasty.
Have I ever told ? ……… fifty years ago when living in Malmesbury the Red Arrows used to do their routine training in the air above Tetbury - they were based in Kemble then - every Tuesday afternoon. My garden faced north looking uphill towards Tetbury. I would sit and watch them for the time of the practice.
Along with the training flights of Concord prior to it going into service.
Precious memories since I had been fascinated by aircraft from being a small child in London during the war.
ARCHERPHILE - how are you coping with all the extra work involved in sorting out the damage left by the vehicle crashing into your wall ?
REPLY
MiriamSeptember 7, 2026 at 5:23 PM
Mrs P. Interesting idea as to a cat harness, but how easy would it be to walk both on leads with both probably walking at different speeds - consider carefully.
At least your cat knows his place and seems quite content to sit and wait for you to return, which sounds just lovely.
REPLY
AmbridgesMrsPSeptember 7, 2026 at 7:17 PM
Yes Miriam, will take on board your thoughts.
Thank you
SozSeptember 7, 2026 at 8:34 PM
ReplyDeleteI’m so sorry you had a bad experience with the anaesthetic injections Mrs P. I was lucky with that. The injection into your palm where there is no flesh must have been excruciating. As for shouting and swearing when in pain, reminds me of noisy labour wards - if it helps why not!
When I had my second hip op, I was waiting in the room leading to the operating theatre and heard the surgeons talking about the previous op in which everything that could have gone wrong had done so. I shouted to them that they had better do the next one properly!!
That reminds me of the most painful injection I have ever had. When I was about 15 I had to have a veruca cut out of my foot and that injection was horrible. I wonder if that too was because there isn't much flesh on the bottom of the foot.
ReplyDeleteHaving been away last week I've just got back up to speed with the blogs.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your garden Archerfile. it must be very stressful for you. I hope that it gets resolved without too many problems.
MrsP, I hope that your recovery from surgery goes smoothly. It's a shame that it was so painful for you and that your neighbour let you down.
Thank you CC - how were the grandparent duties ?
DeleteARCHERPHILE - I you still struggling to sort the mess ?
Our thoughts and sympathies are with you.
Grandparent duties were fun MrsP. It rained on the day that we had the children all day so we ended up having a bake off, Mr CC and 12 yr old grandson vs me and 7yr old granddaughter. They each decided what they wanted to bake then we made a list of ingredients and went to the supermarket to get them, then to a cafe where they do really nice coffee so that we didn't get in the way of my daughter's cleaners who were coming for the first time since her old one retired.
DeleteThe kitchen was pristine when we got back, it didn't stay that way for long!
👍
DeleteRe aftermath of the crash - we have at least picked up all the fence panels and some of the broken trees plants etc. Not doing too much because a proper clear up and rebuilding will be paid for by insurance. Assessor coming tomorrow
ReplyDeleteBut this evening we were visited by the actual owner of the van, the employer of the driver. He is keen not to involve insurance claims (loosing no claims allowance etc ) and has offered to meet all costs of repair/replacement himself. He is the owner of a large farm and storage centre at Chilbolton, about 20 miles away.
The driver was sent home from hospital today with broken ribs, fractured shoulder and other injuries. He will lose his job because he won't be allowed to drive so will have no way of getting to work at the farm. We shall see what the assessor has to say & get quotes for repairs. The owner has also offered to pay for a tree surgeon to come and minister to our precious old apple tree with a huge gash in its side. We hope it can be saved.
I do hope the offer works out as a good policy should you choose that route AP.
DeleteIt is often a toss up between options like this and presumably he has done his sums. I’m sure you will attempt to get something in writing before going ahead, if you do.
Whatever the outcome it’s surely been a massive headache for you both, and you have my sympathy.
If a tree surgeon does come Archerfile I'd be really interested to know what he does to help it heal. So sorry you have had all this bother.
DeletePleased to hear that it's going to be fixed one way or another Archerfile.
DeleteMy advice AP is to give all the van driver's company info. to your own assessor and let them sort it out.
DeleteMy feeling is that this person, who sounds genuine, might slow things down and only be prepared to do a minimal and cheap job and not to your expectations.
No offence meant at all, but this person might see a senior couple and so try to cheat you with inferior repairs + costs.
These days I'm just a bit suspicious of something like this.
I saw on yesterday's news that Monty Don will no longer be presenting Gardeners' World.
ReplyDeleteIt will be interesting to see what they do with the programme now.
Indeed, and it was time for a change. Nothing against Monty personally but the programme had got very repetitive and it will be refreshing a get to know a new garden. I felt I knew his one better than my own! I hope to see more of the other presenters at different gardens for a bit of variety
DeleteAgree about variety Archerfile, both in the gardens and presenters.
DeleteAgree also. I find I lose interest in such programmes when they start to become stale. It's difficult to suddenly change the format with a new presenter, but it has to be done, as long as it's not too radical to begin with.
DeleteThe regular and very loyal viewers need to see familiarity.
Fingers crossed Adam Frost will take over. 😍
DeleteAnyone watching Sewing Bee?
ReplyDeleteI'm really enjoying this series.
To think the final is next week with Strictly to begin the Saturday after, along with a different style of Pottery Throw Down starting as well. Then there's Bake Off ready to go in 2 weeks time.
I would love a fabulous drama series though, such as Dowton and The Other Bennet Sister as examples.
I binge watched the Mayflower Murders not long ago, the one after the Magpie Murders, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe that there is a 3rd one scheduled soon, called the Marble Hall Murders in the same format.
To add. I'm watching Celebrity Masterchef, which has had a revamp with new presenters and being done slightly differently. IMO it's working well, it's the same yet different!
DeleteI can't believe it is Bake off and Strictly time of year again. How can time go so fast!
DeleteI'm enjoying this series of Sewing Bee as well Miriam.
DeleteMe too. The standard seems to get higher and higher each year.
DeleteI would like to have seen all 4 semi finalists in the final
DeleteI have enjoyed Monty’s presenting for many years and I think he is making the right decision to go now. Although I still love his voice and could listen for hours, I recognise the fact that the programme needs a younger and physically fitter presenter. Thank you Monty for being my gardening guru on all those friday nights. You will be missed.
ReplyDeleteWhy has the BBC removed the music which used to introduce the programme?
I don’t like the no music beginning. Montys calming voice will be missed.
DeleteI too am a Sewing Bee addict. I watch the recording while I'm doing the ironing because Mr A is not interested. I noticed the girl who lives on a narrow boat had a big scar on her neck this week, that I'd not seen before. I hope she is ok and wouldn't be surprised if she wins. I was sorry the disabled lady had to leave this week but I had no idea she was disabled. (Think I'm a week behind)
ReplyDeleteVery much looking forward to the Celebrity Pottery Throwdown, don't care who the 'celebrities', are I just love watching the pottery. I think a new 'normal' series with Siobhan back is due soon after.
I hear rumours that the Knitting competition is coming back too. I hope they tweak the format and get rid of the two over-strict judges who could be quite rude to the contestants. Also a few more 'sensible' projects would be welcome too.
I didn't enjoy the knitting one and found it boring, so I gave up half way through.
DeleteDid anyone watch Our Welsh Chapel Dream? Throw Down's Keith Brymer Jones and his partner Marj threw their entire savings into the monumental restoration of a 160-year-old derelict chapel in Wales hoping to turn it into their forever home with a working pottery studio.
ReplyDeleteI watched series 1 but didn't follow it through.
DeleteWhere were you twenty five years ago today ?
ReplyDeleteI was in Putney high street and walking past a television shop and saw through the window the horror.
I abandoned my shopping trip and went home and stayed glued to the television for the rest of the day.
I’ve been in tears again today reading some of the memories of that day.
I was in the village in my brother in law's bungalow where my mum and dad in law were staying, and they had the television on. It seemed so unreal, just couldn't believe what I was seeing knowing there were all those people in the plane/s.
DeleteI was at work with no radio etc.
DeleteThe 2.00pm busy period didn't happen, it was strange and it was only when the delivery driver bringing our drug order in at 2.45pm told us, that we knew what was happening.
This was followed by mums, after picking up the kids from school and coming in, that we heard the full details as many had seen it on TV after switching on to watch Neighbours.
The full horror wasn't revealed to me until getting home and seeing on TV.
I remember it well.
I have a programme recorded which I haven't yet watched, which goes into the theory that there was a 5th plane involved for another target but it didn't happen.
I was at home cooking. I had clinic in the evening so needed to make an early meal for the family to have before I went out to work, I watched it unfolding in between food prepping.
DeleteI was in the car, coming back from Halfords having bought a bike. The news came on the radio but we kept the sound low so as not to worry the Small People. We realised it was something serious, but didn't hear the whole story until we had got home.
DeleteI was at home with a friend visiting. We couldn’t believe it. She left and I stayed glued to the telly for the rest of the day.
ReplyDeleteWe’ve visited the 9/11 museum and it is very poignant. With a remnant of a staircase in there and a fire engine. To me it just seems like yesterday when it happened.
It's so strange as you say, that such things still seem like yesterday.
DeleteThis is the same as the Lockerbie disaster for me as my bro-in-law was in the air at that same time. It took me a short while to remember he was flying into the UK not away.
Not long after I drove to Scotland and past Lockerbie, where there was still marks on the road where the cars caught up in the disaster were burnt + destroyed.
I was at home, having a garden shed erected. When it came on the radio, I switched to the t.v. and kept running out to tell the workman what was happening. I remember thinking it couldn't be real, that it was a sort of bizarre Thunderbirds episode. My mother had died two months earlier and it was strange not being able to phone her.
ReplyDeleteI was devastated by the decision taken in Parliament this afternoon. I know this is a very personal subject but I feel very strongly that people should be allowed to have an assisted death in the circumstances outlined. It is my body that I inhabit and I should be able to decide what happens to it.
ReplyDeleteI have supported a law to allow supported death since my twenties.
DeleteWhen it was talked out in the peers chamber I did not feel it would be successful on a second round.
Time has passed and given the naysayers better and more focused reasons to create greater doubt around safeguarding.
Since - apparently- seventy five percent of the public want to bring assisted death into law, then the public must find a way to bring this to fruition, as it would seem that the lawmakers cannot.
I too was disappointed by the vote. I mean we are prosecuted if we keep animals in a poor way. It should be our decision.
DeleteI was even more disappointed when I saw our MP hadn’t voted at all.
At least it passed here in France. We are all here by chance and have little control over our lives, at least we should be allowed to decide how to end it.
DeleteIt looks like parliament, especially the house of lords are out of step with public opinion. I hope that the inequalities in palliative care are addressed as a result of this but I'm not holding my breath.
DeleteHow understood it, is that it is not the actual assisted dying that was voted against, but there has to be further reforms needed to be added before the act can be passed.
DeleteThis is what my local MP said when explaining why they voted against, at the moment.
Yes Miriam, that’s the nub of it, the reason so many MPs refrained from voting or voted against.
DeleteAlthough many peers prevaricated, with effect, it awoke others to the need for further reforms on this Bill as it was presented.
That would not have been possible on the second round - as this was the case - and so many MPs did exempt themselves or voted against.
This was my thinking in believing that this time the vote would be against.
IMHO The assisted dying bill will happen, but the question now has to be, how long will it now take?
DeleteTime for Apples and Honey. Shanah Tova, happy and peaceful New Year 5787 to anyone celebrating Rosh Hashannah this week. I pray for cessation of anti-semitism in our country which has been increasing in the past few years. Let everyone live in peace, understanding and tolerance of all beliefs and customs.
ReplyDeleteAmen to your prayer AP
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteSorry, pressed publish too soon.
DeleteI agree Archerfile.
One of my university friends is Jewish and her local synagogue is the Kenton United one which was attacked. She has lived in the area for decades and her family are close by. She fears for their safety and especially that of her grandsons going to school. None of them have done anything to warrant that sort of hatred.
AP Please educate me. I've come across the mention of Apples + Honey in the last few days buy not why. I hadn't realised that this is part of your religion.
DeleteWhat does it represent and why is it part of your celebration?
I'm really interested to know.
Thank you Miriam for asking this of AP, I was intending to ask the same question.
DeleteI should also say that this is the first I’ve ever heard of it.
DeleteApples and honey represent the wish for a sweet and happy New Year. They are traditionally served on Rosh Hashanna. Also one could hear the blowing of the Shofa in Synagogue, a very moving experience. Apples and honey are a bit different from one item served at Passover which is bitter herbs! Most foods in the Jewish tradition have some reference to stories in the Bible, very important in those days which were often hungry ones. Rosh Hashanna is of course, closely followed by Yom Kippur which requires 25 hours of complete fasting, not even sipping water or cheating by cleaning one's teeth! This is the Day of Atonement when we think of all the sins we might have committed during the year and seek repentance. Most Jewish homes would have a meal, cooked the day before, ready on the table for the return of a very hungry family from synagogue.
DeleteOMG as to the special offer I saw today - 4 tins of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup for £4.99!
ReplyDeleteHow can this be justified?
Whilst I'm in a 😱 mood, the post! My tv/radio mag which I subscribe to, was delivered so late that the edition for 5-11 Sept. arrived on the 11th, the last day it was for.
DeleteCredit due for that issue then Miriam….
DeleteI've had to for 2 weeks running now, go out + buy another copy at full price which grieved me, as my subscription is 50% less per issue. I'm still waiting for this current weeks issue to arrive!
DeleteIt's no wonder my GP and hospital appointments all come bith via e-mail and text message.
How do those who are not able to do this manage,
The changes to second class post services have really messed our magazine subscriptions. The Radio Times does at least normally arrive before the start date, albeit only just, but we really want the The Week and Spectator on Friday or Saturday….. the Spectator app is included with the print subscription and is very good so I use that a lot but The Week charges separately for online, and both of us like the print version, one of modern life’s niggles
DeleteI believe 2nd class post is only delivered 3x a week now and never on a Saturday.
DeleteI am one of those who still prefers to send cards for birthdays, anniversaries etc. by post, but it takes a lot of planning these days!
Agree about birthday cards. I now send them ten days in advance to be sure of arrival by the day.
DeleteMrsP how are your hands feeling now?
ReplyDeleteI’ve had my stitches removed today.
DeleteMy hand itself is not painful though still stiff and lacking in strength.
I think there is a change in the tingling, a very slight lessening, though certainly not significant.
My other hand with trigger finger which was given a steroid injection into the base of the finger, top of the palm, is still very painful, but hasn’t triggered for two days now.
I’m keeping bandages on as I’m a very instinctive and spontaneous person, so with bandage in place I’m constantly reminded to be careful.
Thanks for asking Soz.
Have you been given any exercises to do to help with the stiffness?
DeleteNothing specific Miriam, but I know the exercises I need to do as I’ve had trouble with my hands for several decades. This event is simply the latest manifestation.
DeleteI am wriggling my fingers very often as it is.
Arthritis is a bugger, wherever it is on the body.
And if you’ve got the gene ….. you’ve got the gene !
DeleteThank you Archerphile for the wonderful explanation. I love how Apples + Honey mean a sweet + happy New Year and I so appreciated learning about other traditions in your faith.
ReplyDeleteJudaism is one religion I have very little knowledge about.
I'm really interested hearing all about it and it's meanings.
Thanks again as I certainly am learning a lot.
We had an interesting morning today. Whenever we visit Lyme we are impressed by the dry stone walls there. This morning we went to a talk and demonstration by the Dry Stone Walling Association which only increased my admiration for the hard work and craftsmanship that goes into the building of them. Lyme has been a deer park for centuries which is why some of the walls are pretty high as are the stiles that we have to climb over on our walks!
ReplyDeleteThe event was supposed to last one and half hours and the tour just over a mile long, what it didn't say was that it ended about a mile away from the car park. In the end it took over two hours and was two and half miles long, thankfully the heavy showers that were forecast missed us. Lunch in the cafe afterwards was very welcome.
Sounds very interesting CC despite the long walk back.
DeleteI once did a short course on dry stone walling, have built a few ( very low garden walls ) and am slowing building again in my present garden.
Do you have them in yours ?
No we haven't got any dry stone walls in our garden MrsP, just ordinary walls and fences.
DeleteI went to the Range yesterday for some wool. Was very pleased to see 20% off all wool. Bought 3 lots of 3 balls. I’ve taught myself, via YouTube, to crochet a bit this summer. I’ve got a lovely one row pattern off to a fine art now that I can do whilst watching telly. I only do baby blankets. My cousin knits them with the WI to go to a NICU at a local hospital. When the babies leave they take their special blanket with them so they always need more. I’m going to donate most of mine. I’ll admit I have 3 put away incase any grandchildren appear in the horizon.
ReplyDeleteI’m now lost if I don’t have any wool to keep my fingers twiddling on a night.
That sounds lovely, PtbY. I'm a lifelong knitter but I taught myself to crochet during lockdown to make the hearts for the hospitals. I still make them, they go to our local hospice - they're a lot quicker than blankets, even baby ones! I also knit hats, mittens, and glove puppets for the Christmas shoeboxes.
DeleteThe Small People in a Shoe singularly failed to learn to knit, but two have taken to crochet.
I was slightly concerned about your last sentence - I thought you said you'd run out of wool! Then I spotted the 'if'. I'm sure you know that gorgeous wool has to be bought on sight - you're bound to find a use for it one day! (I have to confess that one SPiaS has an even more serious wool habit than I do ....)
Mrs P it sounds promising that there is a little change in feeling however slight. That improvement should increase probably very slowly over the coming year.
ReplyDeleteI’ve been down by the sea for the last 2 weeks and have been swimming . I’m fine if it’s a flat sandy beach, rocky and uneven I find difficult to negotiate. The water seems colder than I expected after all that sun. I can remember swimming in winter when I was younger and fitter.
ThanksSoz
ReplyDeleteWith your kind imput I’ve been able to come to terms with a slow recovery, but also am aware of permanent nerve damage.
Well done PtbY for teaching yourself crochet.
I’ve never been able to get beyond a single chain, but I’m a good knitter though I rarely knit. I have two massive sweaters that I knitted forty years ago but never finished sewing up, still waiting attention.
I do admire all those knitters when one sees the small garments in the hospital shops.
Here in this town we have knitted decorations - hats - on top of post boxes !
Mrs P. Glad to hear you are improving a bit. Things take so much longer to heal as we age. Sooo annoying.
ReplyDeleteI’m having a nightmare with wordle lately. I’ve started feeling lucky if I get it in 5.
PtbY - I’ve been very good with Wordle for a while but failed dismally this week on the whole though did get it in two one night recently.
DeleteI do like seeing the post-box toppers that seem to have become a tradition around here, they always make me smile.
ReplyDeleteSadly where I am, the only traditional standing post box was removed when the Post Office closed.
DeleteI still wonder if it closed due to the scandal, as it was just a post office in basically the front room of a house.
Whoever owned it, sold up and moved away and the property reverted to a home.
A new post box was installed, one of those small ones on a stand, across the road on the village green and a PO counter was set up in the local garden nursery just a short way away. They don't do all the PO services but we're lucky to have this.
I've just read that the wonderful Stephanie Coles has passed away, she apparently had Alzheimers.
ReplyDeleteI loved her in Waiting for God and of course Open all Hours, not forgetting her part in Ed Reardons week.
Mentioning the radio, I've really enjoyed listening to he serialisation of RF Delderfield's -To Serve Them All My Days. I know the story well as I've read the book and there was a great TV adaptation at one time. If anyone is interested, it's only available on Sounds for about 2 weeks now.
Cabin Pressure is one of the more recent things that I remember Stephanie Cole being in.
DeleteHow on earth did I forget that brilliant series 🙀
DeleteShe was just magnificent in that..
Thanks. 😍
My thoughts on hearing the news of Stephanie Cole’s demise was, how much she had been able to work in her final few years.
DeleteA very competent actress able to inhabit any character with integrity.
Always worth watching and certainly a favourite of mine.
I never watched Tenko way back, but was delighted to find it on Iplayer last year and certainly enjoyed the experience of watching it, albeit a disturbing subject.
And of course along with others have enjoyed Cabin Pressure, Ed Reardon and Doc Martin too.
She really was a hard working actor and must have had an excellent agent.
Oh I did not know this, yes indeed a wonderful actor!
DeleteWe've had knitted garments hugging trees here.
ReplyDeleteAlso, there's an old red phone box outside the train station which serves as book exchange.
In central Strasbourg there's a red pillar box still in service, it was gifted by Leicester when they twinned in 1960.
Well, I have been looking at the Strictly contestants in the new Radio Times. I can honestly say I am only familiar with one of them, Sarah Storey, the Paralympian Cyclist. All of the others are completely unknown to me. I don't know how much interest I shall have in this years series
ReplyDeleteDitto AP maybe better to just think of them all as members of the public and get to know them along the way. There will of course be all the usual shouting and clapping which spoils it for those of us watching at home! So little else to watch though with bright colours music and joy on tv these days (mostly Police programmes, murder investigations, gardening, quizzes and cooking!!!)
DeleteI love my dog, but the part of her that gives me the greatest delight is her floppy ears with long feathered ends tipped in black against her golden head.
ReplyDeleteYesterday on our walk she was doing a lot of nuzzling in rough grass and when we got home I could not get her collar off.
It was tangled up with her fur and when I investigated I found the culprit to be quite a large burr.
I had to take the scissors to the problem and cut away the collar and once that was off then cut further fur to get the burr out.
Lady now has one ear with a short fringe at the end having lost the best part of two inches of her beautiful feathers.
She looks very odd, and I am very upset !
It will grow back quickly, I'm sure.
DeleteI had a pressie this morning, a lovely small intact but dead shrew, carefully postioned by my slippers, which are placed in such a way for me to swing out of bed + put on.
Luckily I saw my pressie in time! 🐈⬛
😲
DeleteMiriam -
ReplyDeleteAre you like me noticing how quickly we are seeing the light fall each evening ?
I don’t know what it’s been like in Cheshire today, but it’s been a very grey day here in West Somerset, and now at only ten to eight it’s almost completely dark.
The nights do seem to be drawing in more quickly this year, even though it’s barely feeling like autumn.
I had my curtains closed + lights on at 7.30pm tonight, but it was a grey + dismal day with cloud + rain and it's cold.
DeleteWhen I got up this morning at about 7.00am it was only 14C outside.
It's the equinox on Wednesday. I don't like the shorter days but I do prefer this weather to all the heat of the summer.
DeleteAs everyone knows by now I am as ever coming into my own type of weather and favourite season but appreciate it even more so this year after that absolutely dreadful summer heat and worse still apparently destined to be even hotter next year - oh I do hope not 🙏🏼
DeleteMe too CC. Not sure I could live through another summer like that! Thats the blessing of British weather, the variety and changes. And I much prefer cold weather to hot. I have promised not to grumble next time we are cut off by snow! 😂
DeleteNow the temperatures are cooling down, what I'm hating is closing windows, as Iove keeping small ones open front + back to get fresh air throughout.
DeleteI hate a stuffy home.
Just heard I am getting a budgie! Daughter found one in the hedge around the Scout Hut being besieged by a gang of magpies. She managed to rescue it, take it home and found a cage from a neighbour. She's been looking after it for a few weeks, tried every method of locating its owner with no luck. Even the ring on its leg didn't produce any ownership results. So he's looking for a permanent new home & I offered. Love all birds and he can sit on the windowsill watching all the ones in the garden. He has no name yet so looking for suggestions....anyone? Not Joey please!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteRemember to choose wisely as you've got to call it the same from that day forwards.
DeleteYou could always call it Fletch as in TA.
I once had a male cat named Benjy.
DeleteIs he ( it ) green or blue ARCHERPHILE ?
ReplyDeleteWhen we bought a budgie for our dad we thought it ought to be called Elgar, father’s favourite composer.
How daft !
In the event he became Dandy….. so there is my suggestion.
Elgar - Ed Reardon's cat 😄
DeleteDo you know if it's a male or female budgie Archerfile?
DeleteDon't know how to sex a budgie, I'll have to wait & see if anything happens. I really like the idea of a favourite composers name. Shoshtakovitch is a bit long so it may have to be Mahler .......actually thats not too bad. Or Chopin.🤔
DeleteThen there's Handel, Mozart, Verdi.
DeleteOr Holst, Walton, Enaudi, Rossini but not Bach I think! More suitable for a dog! 😂
DeleteThe list is endless
Well I’m watching strictly. I only know Graham the dog trainer. It’s 8.10pm and so far it’s rubbish. Can’t stand any of the new hosts. That JoJo bloke is soooo affected. Josh widdecomb is just not right for this show.
ReplyDeleteAgree 100% ptby what a shame I was hoping for better to brighten Saturday evening’s.
DeleteI lasted less than 10 minutes! Way, way over the top. Awful presenters. Don't know anybody and don't particularly want to! A big no for me this year.
DeleteI loved it!
DeleteI'm not impressed with the presenters or the new introduction format but will stick with it for now to see how it goes once the proper dancing starts.
DeleteRe budgie - I have to see what colour the cere above the beak is - blue for a male or creamy/white for a female. I have only seen a photo so far (he/she arrives this afternoon). Its colour is pale yellow head and back with a blue front. Decided on Mahler or Nelson for name but might have to think of a female one instead! Photo tomorrow I expect 😄
ReplyDeleteARCHERPHILE
DeleteNelson better than Mahler.
It has a sibilant, Mahler does not, too soft a sound for the bird to be aware of.
Possible female musicians ?
Dandy was a good name because he picked up on it easily.
Two Ds
And he could say it himself.
DeleteWe taught him his name and address, as we were aware of his possible escape since he had free reign to fly in our third floor flat. We were vigilant regarding windows and doors, but inevitably he did get out.
When he did take a holiday he was gone three days.
My mother was frantic with worry !
On the fourth day a knock at the door was opened to find a policeman there ( mid 1950s ) .
“ have you found my Dandy ? “ exploded my mother - “yes madam “ was the reply.
My mother was mimicked for this expression for many many years to come.
But Dandy had been able to give his name and address when rescued from a tree about a mile and a half from home.
I vividly remember that walk to collect him that evening and he chattered with excitement all the way home.
MrsP - that's amazing!
DeleteHere he is! Definitely a he. Not bothering with fancy names - he'll just be Pip after Great Expectations, one of my favourite Dickens books - and better than Pumplechook!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the blog Pip!
DeleteArcherphile - just like your previous logo: yellow and blue.
Thank you for the introduction.
I like that - my favourite budgie was Pip. He looked more like a canary being all yellow. He was so tame and loved to be stroked. Before Pip we had numerous Joeys - why was that THE name for budgies in fifties/sixties?
DeleteThat is a fabulous name and clever. With the two 'p's with luck, it will be easily recognised by him.
DeleteEnjoy..
Yes with some work he should be able to say his name.
DeleteVery subtle colouring.
Congratulations AP - and welcome PIP
Yes Soz - why was Joey such a popular name for budgies ?
I don’t know.
Well now ! ! ! !
DeleteI’ve just googled Joey.
It became a popular name for budgies BECAUSE THERE WAS A BUDGIE FEATURED IN THE ARCHERS in the fifties called JOEY.
And of course The Archers was at its zenith in the fifties.
How about that, and so Fletch was not the first budgie to be in TA.
That’s interesting . It would explain my family’s preference for Joey as The Archers was a programme we all listened to. Does anyone remember The Luscombes?
DeleteAnd maybe that was why we got a budgie, too.
DeleteI don't remember them but looked them up, and thought it inspiring that the Aileen Mills who was in the programme wrote her first book of poetry at the age of 93. There is hope for us all!
DeleteI had a lovely day yesterday.
ReplyDeleteA scrap Messiah from 10 to 3, followed by a short concert.
Although I’m still a soprano I do now struggle to get an E and really cannot any longer reach F, but still enjoyed a good sing nevertheless.
Took Lady with me, with permission from the vicar, and she was as good as gold lying at my feet. A fellow singer said that at one point when we were rehearsing the Hallelujah chorus Lady raised her head and looked at her as much as to say….not again !
So pleased that you had the sort of day that lifts your spirits MrsP.
DeleteJust got Wordle in two.
ReplyDeleteThank you all from Pip, for the welcome. It hadn't occurred to me that his is yellow & blue like my usual logo. Now I feel able to join in pet chat, eleven though he's not a dog, or cat like many of you have 😄
ReplyDeleteLet us know if he speaks or perhaps not, any news of a live creature is welcome.
DeleteJust back from a jaunt with Big Sis to one of the big M+S stores. Cheshire Cheese will know the one at the Coliseum E.Port.
ReplyDeleteWhat a dissapointment. It's fine if you like brown, green and dull colours, along with very wide leg trousers/jeans, jackets which are cropped just at about waist level, with very few skirts or blouses.
Every range had exactly the same styles.
I only wanted undies, so came out with 6 bras (as only place I find these to fit my small boobs) + 2 packs of knickers, so at least if I get knocked down + end up in A+E, my undergarments won't embarras me.
I have heard of that M&S Miriam but never been there. We go to either the one at Handforth Dean or the Trafford Centre. It used to be my go to store for all the basics many years ago, I never seem to find much for me these days.
DeleteWhen I go to Taunton I usually go into M&S walking through the store to the food department at the back, but passing through all the new designs at the front.
Delete( I buy myself lovely pastries and chocolates and something to thank friends for looking after Lady for the day )
Like you Miriam, when I last went I was bemused, and not at all admiring, of most of the garments displayed.
All very strange - was my general thought.
CC I assumed you'd know it as just by Cheshire Oaks.
DeleteHello Miriam I have an early visitor tomorrow (Tuesday) so in case I get distracted I am sending you
ReplyDelete“Birthday wishes” tonight. Have a lovely day whatever you do and be sure to spoil yourself or be spoiled if with family / friends 🎂🎉💐🍷🎁🎈
Aah Thank-you Lady R.
DeleteIt's going to be a normal day with nothing happening, but I do know how to treat + spoil myself!
There's a bottle of prosecco plus some fancy chocs. ready + waiting, along with some salmon in the fridge, but not sure how I'll cook it yet.
Enjoy your day Miriam 🌹
DeleteHappy birthday for tomorrow Miriam.
ReplyDelete💐🎂
Happy Birthday Miriam
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely day, and if it’s warm and sunny, as predicted, perhaps you will choose to eat your chocolates with a glass of wine in your beloved garden.
I should be able to remember your birthday without Lady Rs prompt since it is the day after my daughters.
She was 60 today ( yesterday now )
Many happy returns of the day Miriam. Wishing you happiness and good health for the coming year. 🍾🍰🍫🎉
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your day Miriam - Here’s to a healthy, rewarding year ahead.🎂🍸🌞🌷💫
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day Miriam, you're always well stocked up for food and now even with under garments!
ReplyDeleteAt least I'm no longer Fur Coat + No Knickers! 🤣🤣
DeleteGood grief Miriam……..
DeleteFrom your posts and your descriptions of yourself and your lifestyle, your the very last person I would describe as ‘ all fur coat and no knickers ‘
In my experience, that is a most derogatory expression to use about a woman.
Thanks Everyone for the very kind + thoughtful Birthday wishes.😍
ReplyDeleteI know it is the Autumn Equinox but autumn really was here this morning. I woke up to mist which swirled around for hours.
It was fog not far away, so much so that one of the Beluga's coming in from Tolouse couldn't land at Aerospace, so ended up at Prestwick, Scotland.
It was certainly seasonal 🍁
I should have arranged with Corrin to have a Beluga trailing a Happy Birthday banner for you Miriam - or written on the side perhaps! Hope you had a lovely day in spite of the weather
DeleteGot my old picture back - Ukraine still need support - but it's taken hours to get the blog to work properly & to had to download all sorts of things to allow it to be used again. Google has got very complicated. 😵💫
ReplyDeleteFrustrating Archerfile, maybe think of it as a work out for your brain.
DeleteArcherphile, it was all in a good cause, since you introduced us to Pip.
DeleteHow's he doing in his new surroundings?
Well, my brain certainly needed a workout and all the changes Google have made to their apps tested me almost to tears of frustration!
DeleteAs for Pip, hés doing very well and getting used to his new, much smaller, home. I discovered he loves a piece of lettuce and gets very excited if I play budgie sounds from YouTube. He chirps back loudly and jumps up and down in excitement!
Does he talk AP - I mean words, not just chirps ?
DeleteIf he doesn’t will you teach him ? It’s very easy.
Be careful about teaching birds to speak, as who knows what they'll pick up. A male ex-colleague of mine had a budgie who everytime anyone entered a room, it chirped out "Darling", followed by a sort of kissing noise.
DeleteIt was hysterical.
No sign of any ´words' just lots of chirping. I haven't the patience to try to teach him to 'speak' and I prefer natural birdsong anyway. I shall move his cage to a different window tomorrow from where he will see many garden birds on the bird table and in the adjacent tree. Perhaps he'll pick up the blackbird's song!
DeleteBooked my 'flu vaccine today!
ReplyDeleteI don't go to my surgery as they do mass clinics on Saturdays, 3 jabbers doing appointments every 10 mins. This is a city centre practice where parking is limited. It's fine on a weekday as the road outside is only 30mins parking so there are always spaces but not on flu jab Saturdays.
I've booked at a small Boots store on a local retail site which is very close to a Dunelm store, The Range plus many more, so a shopping trip will happen at the same time..
We have a pharmacy cum Post Office a 5 minute walk from where we live and go there for our vaccinations, it's very handy.
DeleteI've booked mine at the surgery but the first available appointment was not until November 10th. The receptionist said if I could get it earlier anywhere else I could cancel the appointment with them, which is what I did last time, mainly by chance as I went into the chemist after being at the surgery and there was someone there doing them that day.
DeleteI had an invitation from my surgery and chose October 1st so not long now !! Covid and Flu
Deletetogether as usual.
I'm October 6th but just 'flu for me.
DeleteWent up to see the Bayeaux Tapestry yesterday ( or Canterbury Embroidery as MrNuts prefers to call it) queue management still needs tweaking, we weren’t face to face with the tapestry until an hour and a half after our ticket time. But yes it was worth it and the crowd was good natured.
ReplyDeleteBut how close were you able to be KP and how able to see detail before moving on to the next section ?
DeleteWe saw the Tapestry in 1991 when we were on holiday in Normandy, not much of a queue and plenty of time to view it. I still have some photos which we took.
DeleteI went to see the copy of the Bayeux Tapestry at Reading Museum yesterday. It was very interesting but I found it difficult to distinguish the characters but the needlework was fantastic. Two of the embroiders were from Macclesfield and the rest from Staffordshire. Having just finished watching Game of Thrones which is really like medieval story but with dragons, I enjoyed the visit. It always makes me realise that I was never taught anything about the Anglo Saxon or medieval history - only the Romans, Tudor and French Revolution
ReplyDeleteIt’s been a lovely day here which we spent doing pond maintenance. It hasn’t been done properly for a couple of years and the roots of the plants were a tangled mess with 4 baskets buried inside it. MrCC had to use a saw to separate them before we could get them out of the pond to split and replant.
ReplyDeleteI also pulled out loads of the oxygenator plant along with a lot of dragonfly larvae and baby newts. It’s no wonder that we rarely see frogs these days, the poor tadpoles must get gobbled up as soon as they emerge.
I need to get a net over it now, before the leaves start to fall.
So then, any comments on strictly?
ReplyDeleteAlthough I don’t know the so-called celebs most of them looked good. That footballer was the worst.
Ruddy JoJo and his pink outfit. 🤮
Once again that Josh widdicomb was a waste of space.
The music was not suitable for a tango either.
Right…..had my moan.
Same time next week!!!
I thought there were several good dancers in there and some of the costumes were amazing. Not sure about the presenters though or the format for presenting, time will tell.
DeleteI am a big Strictly fan, which I think most know.
DeleteFor a week 1 show it was a very enjoyable watch with all trying their best, as did the new presenters.
It's still early days and I personally loved JoJo's outfit, as it is his true style and he wears it well.